Urgent! Quails pecking each other

BirdsRDinosToo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
I have 4 quails 2 golden Italians Tibetan and common brown I have encountered a huge problem. They are foghting

Quail 1
Pecks: Male
Quail 2
Is bullyed by: Quail 3
Quail 2
Pecks: No one
Is bullied by quail 1 and 3
Male
Is bullied by: Quail 1
Quail 3
Pecks: Quail 1&2
Is bullied by No one (and is compatible with male
I have split apart the quail

1 with 2
Quail 1 pecks quail too but not as much
And 3 with male

I want to know what to do and if I need to seperate them and for how long?

Blue Raptor

Dragon🐉Artist
Premium Feather Member
Feb 20, 2021
Deutschland 🇩🇪
My Coop
My Coop
I have 4 quails 2 golden Italians Tibetan and common brown I have encountered a huge problem. They are foghting

Quail 1
Pecks: Male
Quail 2
Is bullyed by: Quail 3
Quail 2
Is bullied by quail 1 and 3
Male
Is bullied by: Quail 1
Quail 3
Pecks: Quail 1&2
Is bullied by No one (and is compatible with male
I have split apart the quail

1 with 2
Quail 1 pecks quail too but not as much
And 3 with male

I want to know what to do and if I need to seperate them and for how long?
It sounds to me you've got the pecking order figured out! They will do this all the time, it's a line of order! Quail 3 is the 'big mamma' and is at the top of the pecking order. It would be a problem only if she were seeking out a bird and nonstop pecking her, otherwise this is normal.

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
May 15, 2019
Klamath County, OR
It sounds like you have two males. This is a problem. Unless you have a lot of space, you're not going to be able to keep two males together. You should have one male to three to five females. You will probably see a lot less pecking when there is only one male.

BirdsRDinosToo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
It sounds to me you've got the pecking order figured out! They will do this all the time, it's a line of order! Quail 3 is the 'big mamma' and is at the top of the pecking order. It would be a problem only if she were seeking out a bird and nonstop pecking her, otherwise this is normal
Yes Quail 1 was also slightly bleeding but is more territorial than quail 3 but then she’s pecked by quail 3 so is it nesscicary for any seperatuon

BirdsRDinosToo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
It sounds like you have two males. This is a problem. Unless you have a lot of space, you're not going to be able to keep two males together. You should have one male to three to five females. You will probably see a lot less pecking when there is only one male.
Can’t be two males I have had them for almost a year and I have been getting three eggs a night however that has stopped because it’s winter

BirdsRDinosToo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
How much space do you have? What is your setup like?
Pretty large for 4 quails if we were being factory farmers and thinking about 1sq ft a quail I could easily fit in more before they get stressed (not that I would overpopulate the enclosure

BirdsRDinosToo

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2021
It sounds to me you've got the pecking order figured out! They will do this all the time, it's a line of order! Quail 3 is the 'big mamma' and is at the top of the pecking order. It would be a problem only if she were seeking out a bird and nonstop pecking her, otherwise this is normal.
Is there anyneed to seperate them

Top Bottom