Urgent question about eggs

Babybearhiggins

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2023
Our Muscovy laid 7 eggs in a weird place in our garage a couple days ago & her nest was found by a painter who is painting in there. Two eggs were crushed, so only 5 are left. The painter dropped something on them and an animal came last night and stole an egg.

Her eggs are on the ground on top of a bag without any padding and are basically exposed to the elements and she isn’t sitting on them or tending to them often. She’s my favorite little Muscovy and I would really love for these eggs to make it.

Should I put bedding down so the eggs won’t run into each other & crack?

Or should I try to incubate them myself? She may be a little spooked because of the painter in the garage. I saw her going in there to check on them today, but last night, she was nowhere to be seen and it was kind of chilly outside.

Attachments

• 585B5FEB-691A-45F3-B89E-5C1B1B4A894A.jpeg
    585B5FEB-691A-45F3-B89E-5C1B1B4A894A.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 10
Our Muscovy laid 7 eggs in a weird place in our garage a couple days ago & her nest was found by a painter who is painting in there. Two eggs were crushed, so only 5 are left. The painter dropped something on them and an animal came last night and stole an egg.

Her eggs are on the ground on top of a bag without any padding and are basically exposed to the elements and she isn’t sitting on them or tending to them often. She’s my favorite little Muscovy and I would really love for these eggs to make it.

Or should I try to incubate them myself? She may be a little spooked because of the painter in the garage. I saw her going in there to check on them today, but last night, she was nowhere to be seen and it was kind of chilly outside.
If you candle them can you see any development?

It’s possible she is just building a clutch up
They don’t usually sit till they have a full clutch. For some ducks that’s 2 eggs others it’s 20
She will stop laying and at that point start sitting
You could incubate some if your wanting to rush it or just wait it out
I would mark each egg daily and when she does start to sit remove the later laid eggs so she has a nest of about 6-10 eggs instead of 15-20
They do much better this way

I was just about to say they usually don't sit until they are close to finishing laying, but *someone* beat me to it, lol!

You can add some nesting material if you wish, some straw or wood shavings, and keep an eye on the nest for new eggs. As New Duck Mommy said, if this is an inconvenient place for her to be brooding, then when she's done you can try to move her and the nest somewhere else. Most accept this without issue.

Thank you so much, everyone! Your advice has been really helpful! 😊

Back
Top Bottom