Urgent question--damp chicks, cool night...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iamcuriositycat, Oct 28, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Crap. I forgot to put my animals up until after dark tonight, and when I went out it was raining and 42 degrees. I have 6 1/2 week old silkie chicks who spend their days in a pen on the dirt & grass, with the top half of a dog house for shelter (sitting on dirt--makes it easy to transport). At night they get locked in a cozy shed with a wood floor bedded with straw, no drafts. However, tonight they were out in the rain and got damp--not wet, just damp--before going under their dog house lid. When I went out for them, they were eager for me to put them up in their warm shed!

They were not acting chilled, but I'm worried because they all have damp feathers (which they were beginning to preen after I put them up). I don't know how cold it's supposed to get tonight, but it's bound to continue to get chillier. Do I need to bring them in and dry them under a lamp? Or will they dry out just fine in the shed, preening themselves and nestling in the straw?

A quick answer is appreciated, so I can go ahead and get them indoors (what a pain--I'll have to bring in the brooder and set it up--ugh--but of course it's worth it if necessary) before I go to bed.

Thank you!!

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Check them after 20-30 minutes to see how they are doing and evaluate the situation then.
    Also, consider giving them a wrapped hot water jar to help heat them as they dry

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ah, good idea! I could heat a rice bag in the microwave and put it out with them. Great idea to check on them in twenty minutes and see how they're doing without help. Thank you!

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i'd bring them in...just to be safe

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:I have an athletic sock filled with rice its a knee high and do that and they stay warm for ever [​IMG]

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Cool. My mom has little sewn-shut bags of rice that she warms & puts at the foot of the beds. Very cozy! I just poured a bag of rice into a pillow case & it's in the microwave right now. I checked on the chickies and they didn't seem cold, but they weren't dry either. So the warm rice bag is going out there when it's ready. Thanks for the idea! I really didn't want to have to bring them in--what a pain!

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    They are SOOooo cozy now! I took the hot rice bag (wrapped in enough layers of cloth to be warm but not hot to the touch) out to them, and built a closed-in area around them with buckets and straw, and they are settled in around that warm cozy bag. I feel much better. Of course, now they're going to be spoiled and expect a little heat pocket every night! :p

8. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. The bag was so warm and cozy I decided to make another one for meee! lol. Now I'm warm and cozy too.

9. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    cool....i was just thinking a light. with a 100 watt bulb..........i like the bag idea bettter

10. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG] Just filed this little tid bit away and I'm sure it'll come in handy one day so THANK YOU!!! Glad they're all cozy and warm! And [​IMG] neighbor from Apex, NC!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by