urgent question re: broody and chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IroquoisEgg, Apr 13, 2011.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I have 2 broodies that have hatched chicks 2 days ago, the other eggs have not hatched, how long do I wait to take unhatched eggs away so momma's will get off nest and get babies food/water?? They are in the general population but I made a make-shift area that they can get to for food and water, also managed to put some in the little nest box with them. I am so worried about the chicks though, I know they can live without food but need water sooner. I don't want to take chicks away from them but will if I have to. Please people with more experience advise me!!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    The momma hen will give up on the other eggs soon enough and leave the nest. I wouldn't worry about it. I know its difficult for you , but she will know whats best.

3. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Thank you for that- I am usually pretty calm person but when it comes to babies [​IMG] I keep telling myself this Mother Nature knows what's goin' on leave it be. Then 10 minutes later I'm out there again peeking around! [​IMG]

4. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Quote:Mother Nature and Human Nature not from same PLANET.... [​IMG]

they will do great without intervention.... pull up a chair and sit on those hands [​IMG]

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Mother Nature and Human Nature not from same PLANET....

[​IMG]

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I usually candle the eggs under broodies from time to time, to make sure no one laid a fresh egg in there that's behind the others. If one did, I assign each broody eggs in the same hatch-range to avoid a 2-week egg being abandoned when the rest of the eggs hatch.

My broody stays on the chicks for a day or two to let them recover from hatching. But when they need feed and water she wont stay on the nest, even if viable eggs are in there.

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    We took ours out after waiting 3 additional days-all were dead. The hen got right up after that and began to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by