1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bocapallranch, Jul 6, 2016.

1. bocapallranch

bocapallranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2015
    Is it possible for a duck egg to survive if his shell got cracked and his head is out? there was a little bit of bleeding and I can clearly tell his yolk is not absorbed. The air cell was definitely drawn down to one side, so he was close to hatching but I don't know what day they were on. My friend gave me the eggs after their dog killed the mother duck. And then my power went out and I had to relocate my incubator and it got cracked/opened in the process, ugh!!! I have him just in the incubator and he's just laying there moving his head around once in a while. His head is the only thing out of the egg.

2. bigredshaverhen

bigredshaverhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Under your bed
    I'm really not sure. What day is he?

3. SavannahG

SavannahG New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    That's unfortunate. It doesn't seem likely that he will survive. Poor thing.

4. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    If he is moving he has a chance, just leave him alone and see what happens. Keep me updated I am interested in what happens :)

5. bocapallranch

bocapallranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks guys. It is very unfortunate :( but I just wanted to see if others have had success or not with this kind of situation. [​IMG]

6. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run

So this video is super cheesy but its real and I thought it might help you with ideas. If they can do this I think this little guy might survive :)

7. bocapallranch

bocapallranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2015

I did see that about a week ago! Thanks! Hopefully this little guy makes it.

8. Elky

Elky Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    In the Chicken Run
    Keep me updated :)

9. Kilkilkorken

Kilkilkorken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Hoping the little baby makes it.

10. bocapallranch

bocapallranch New Egg

Jul 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately he didn't make it. [​IMG]

I did an "eggtopsy" and the yolk was clearly not absorbed. Can anyone tell me what day this was?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by