URGENT questions how long once the hen is on the roost does it take

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Karen 2739, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm getting a little concerned. My hen just layed her first egg yesterday. Now she is on the nest and hasn't laid the egg for about 1 hour. It's very hot here. She's panting. I checked to see if I could see any egg emerging, but didn't want to upset her. Should I be concerned? All the girls are circled around her.

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I wouldnt be to concerned. It can take several hours for them to lay an egg. She is just getting into the swing of things. She will be alright!

Chef

3. Karen 2739

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Thank you! I'm sure I'm not helping. I will leave her alone to do her job!

4. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    If it's really hot there you may consider freezing a bottle of water and putting it under the hen to cool her off.

5. JayneMae

JayneMae Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    how did it go?

6. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    She may not have even layed anything. Just going through the motions [​IMG]

But yeah did she have any luck?

Chef

7. Karen 2739

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Thank you all for your help. She was just fine and laid her second egg ever, about a half hour after my post. The good news is that I was able to set her into the nest box, and that's where she laid the egg. She was initially sitting in the corner of the coop.

She got a little upset when I took the egg away. Should I not let them see me take the egg?
    [​IMG]

8. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    My hen takes an hour or more pretty much every time. [​IMG]

9. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    I sometimes take the egg from them after they're laid. Sometimes a hen will be in a laying box with a couple other eggs from other chickens, so I'll just reach my hand underneath her and pull out the other eggs. Most of the time they don't mind, but they do give you that look when you're pulling the egg away from them EVERY TIME! [​IMG]

10. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Glad everything worked out! Your posts are so cute Karen....makes me smile. I remember the excitement just a couple of weeks ago when we got our first egg from our 5 hens. Now...over 30 eggs later and a couple of weeks...its old hat [​IMG] Enjoy your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by