URGENT... red bloody mass...Farting chicken? Insides are out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmsister, Dec 6, 2008.

1. farmsister

farmsister Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Ok, this is so gross sounding I know... but I don't have any clue what to do. I have a beautiful blue araucana hen who is about 6 months old, she was on her roost high above the others looking swollen and big kind of, when I reached up and took her down her tail feathers are bloody and white and stuck together and there is a big red internal mass hanging out her end side... she just stands still but every time she breathes there is a gust of air comes out the back of that mass. I tried putting it back in, it comes right back out. Help!!! I do not want her to suffer!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. P@P@2four

[email protected]@2four Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Port Deposit, MD
    YIKES!!! **BUMP**

3. P@P@2four

[email protected]@2four Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Port Deposit, MD
    Bumping again so someone sees this and can help!!!

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    sounds like she prolapsed,probally not much you can do if it is severe,on sheep and cattle you can fix sometimes but on a hen that lays eggs I dont think so, sorry
    just one of the many things you have to deal with when raising chickens

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    It sounds like she has a prolapse, although I havent heard of the "wind" effect.

You can try pushing it back in again but it may keep coming out. She may have laid an egg internally. Feel around her lower abdominal area and the mass to see if you feel a hard egg. Some times you can work the egg out, but both that and trying to replace the prolapse are often unsuccessful and frequently recur. In that case, culling is the kindest thing.

Do a search in Emergencies for "prolapse" and for "internal laying".

Im sorry.

Chel

6. This will be more than likely a prolapse, especially if it is a young bird. You can try to put the mass back into the bird, but usually it will come out again during egg laying.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hemorroid cream might help, but just dont use anything with "caine" in it, like Benzocaine, which can be fatal. The hemorroid cream/ointment may help shrink the tissues so you can place it back inside.

8. farmsister

farmsister Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Thank you so much, I'm so sad. I know she is pain because I tried to clean her up in back, you know the feathers, and she made these really loud sqeaking/squealing sounds. I will try again to fix her and if not I think because she is in pain I'll have to figure out how to put her down. Can I give her whiskey as someone else suggested to "put her to sleep?" Will that work? I am awful with blood.... I never could've been a nurse.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have no idea if whiskey will euthanize a chicken; never heard that before tonight. If it's true, I'll buy some! I've used starter (Not lighter!) fluid, which is ether, to put them down, but they were in a weakened state anyway so they succumbed quickly.

10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    If you can afford it, see if you can take her to a vet before they close and have them euthanize her. I'm so sorry about your girl. That must be so hard on BOTH of you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by