URGENT REQUEST!!!!! Lost 8 chicks :'( NEED ADVICE...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bjw113, Jul 24, 2013.

1. bjw113

bjw113 In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pikeville, TN
    This is not my first rodeo, as they say, and the first batch of chicks I received 3 years ago (24 in all) I only lost 1. So to lose 6 chicks out of 22 last week, then have the hatchery reship 5 chicks and now to lose 2 of those - IS JUST KILLING ME... I know last week it was terribly hot and I felt that probably they had just gotten overheated... They shipped out Monday evening and I received them 1st thing Wednesday both shipments... The babies are exhibiting the same symptoms.....very unstable, staggering, and they are rolling their heads back until they touch their backs. I have been dipping their beaks in the mineral/vitamin water every half hour, but I can see that I am losing this battle with the two from my shipment today. SO my question is have ANY of you experienced the same symptoms in any of your hatchery babies? AND is there ANYTHING you can suggest that I can try to do to try to save these two... Thanks so very much for your help...[​IMG]

2. NC Chick Man82

NC Chick Man82 Chirping

Jul 9, 2013
    North Carolina
    are you sure they dont have a disease? like Marek's...

Heat is hard on chicks... were they alright when you got them and just started developing these symptoms are did they arrive this way?

3. NC Chick Man82

NC Chick Man82 Chirping

Jul 9, 2013
    North Carolina
    MAREK'S SYMPTOMS

The neural type of Marek's is typified by progressive paralysis of the wings, legs and neck. Loss of body weight, anemia, labored respiration and diarrhea are common symptom. If lesions are present, they are confined to the nerve trunks and plexes enervating the paralyzed extremities. Frequently no gross lesions can be observed.
    Ocular (eye) leukosis or "gray-eye" is usually seen in early maturity. Morbidity and mortality are usually low but may approach twenty-five percent in some flocks. It is characterized by the spotty depigmentation or diffuse graying of the iris in the eye. The pupil develops an irregular shape and fails to react to light. Emaciation diarrhea and death follow.
    Skin leukosis produces the most severe losses in broilers. The losses result from high condemnations at the processing plant. Enlargement of the feather follicles due to accumulations of lymphocytes is the typical lesion. This is the most infective virus since it is produced in the regions of the feather follicles and is shed with the skin dander.
    Acute Marek's disease can be extremely rapid in its course, producing mortality in apparently healthy birds. However, in some cases the lesions may regress and clinically affected birds may make complete recoveries.

4. bjw113

bjw113 In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pikeville, TN
    Well the chicks were vaccinated for Mareks, and were only day old when shipped. Two arrived dead, the other three died within 24 hours last week. The other chicks were just received today. SO is it possible? I guess, but I don't know... EXTREMELY reputable hatchery.

5. NC Chick Man82

NC Chick Man82 Chirping

Jul 9, 2013
    North Carolina
    I would have to say i dont know then... Just keep them hydrated sugar water helps too! Im sorry you have to go through this

6. Although they can make a complete recovery, they do remain carriers of the disease and once it is brought onto your property, it is near impossible to clean the property, if not impossible...it only takes ONE bird to take the dreams away!

Some choose to cull the flock, others choose to maintain a closed flock! There is a great thread on this in the diseases part here...highly recommend it to anyone with a hint that they might have this in their flock! Or maybe just want to be more aware, incase they come across this in their own flocks!!!

It's a real horrible disease for a flock and unfortunately, I have read that the vaccine is only 90% effective...

What hatchery, or where did you get these chicks from? It would help other OP's to not order from them, and even if it isn't Mareks, it would keep others from having to go through this also!

The only way to really know, is to have one of the chicks tested. If you suspect this disease, I would highly recommend taking one to your local extension for testing to be sure! They usually will do the testing for a lot less than a vet would! We practice biosecurity here!

Praying it's just shipping stress!!!

7. https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6168595/mareks-signs-and-symptoms/

I have been up half the night looking for this for you...there is another link called "can adult chickens be vaccinated for mareks" I think that was the exact title...I don't know how to post multiple links at the same time in the same post, but the other link, I really think you should read also!

Best of luck and please keep us posted?

8. MAREKS!
    Vaccinate ALL of your birds! Adults, babies, everyone.
    CULL CULL CULL!
    Don't interact with the same cloths you interacted with the chicks.
    Cull the chicks or risk having mareks on your farm for the rest of your life and ruin the dream of having birds.

Vaccinate for both mareks and coccidiosis. I don't care, worm everyone, coccidiosis, and mareks vaccination. This is an emergency situation. Coccidiosis can be recovered but not mareks.
    Clean everything with bleach. Clean all your clothes, your boots, take a shower, clean glasses if you have them.
    All I can say, if you want chickens and this IS mareks (ignore if they've been vaccinated, hatcheries screw up all the time) cull cull cull bleach bleach bleach.

9. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/462327/can-adult-chickens-be-vaccinated-for-mareks

Here is the other link I mentioned and although it is a long thread, 16 pages, and the first few pages aren't that good, there are some ladies on there that are VERY informed, some have this in THEIR flocks, others are researchers, ect and the info in invaluable.

Highly recommend reading this for ALL back yard flock owners, as it seems that WE are now the problem, not the hatcheries any more...

Even if you order your chicks vaccinated from the hatchery, they need to be quarantined from you current flock, as it takes 14 to 21 days for them to build immunities for mareks!!!! Super quarantined, as in biosecurity...there is a thread for that also, but if you read the managing your flock thread and the illness, diseases thread, you will find it or do a search on the top bar that says "advanced" !!!

PLEASE, read these post!!! Before things get worse for you!!!! Please take a chick to your local extension or vet for the tests to be done!!!! and PLEASE keep us informed!!!

Sorry I couldn't put it up last night, I had to find the other link, and it took a long time...I fell asleep after, so after doing chores, I went back and found this thread for you today!!!

It may not be your hatchery chicks that brought this on...it could already be in your flock and you don't know it yet...unless practicing biosecurity, you could be tracking this all over your property and back and forth to your birds...also not all vaccinations are created equal...please..I found this out on this thread from some knowledgeable women that are proffesionals and they back up everything with wither experience or links to their information!!!

Praying for you and keeping fingers crossed also!!!

For the rest of us....we really need to start learning more about diseases in chickens and immunities, or how to build immunities in our flocks...one trip to a poultry swap or show and you could find yourself in trouble, even TSC, or just about anywhere, you can pick this up, even in your back yard...PLEASE be a part of the solution, not the problem, and educate yourselves!!!!

I live in New Hampshire. I guess they have chicken swaps here. I had never heard about them, nor gone to one, ever...but read that because of MG/MS here in the state, they shut them down indefinitely, as that seemed to be one of the transmission routes for these two diseases...just to give you and idea how, here in NH, we are trying to get this under control and stop it, or atleast lower our risks...

I also practice another method called, all in/all out...along with biosecurity...and have a closed flock, and am only buying next spring from breeders that do the same!!! Also, next spring I plan to vaccinate all the heritage chicks that come onto the property the day I get them and isolate them for longer than the recommended time period!!! There have been no livestock on this property for near 75 years, and I have vaccinated the hatchery stock, even though they are supposed to already be...I am NOT a big fan of vaccination, and would rather breed for immunity, but also don't want my dreams to go down the toilet...so am taking every precaution I can!!!
    I have never had this disease and never want to get it....I have read all of the heart
    wrenching stories of back yard flocks that have though...it's HORRIBLE!!!!

I know I am harping on this issue, but if these hatcheries can get their loses down to 1%, than so can WE!!!! It is OUR responsibility to protect, not only our selves, but others we might give or sell chickens to...With the advent of the urban chicken keeping, mareks and other bad bad diseases have reared their ugly heads and lots of people don't even know that is what they have, and inadvertently pass it on to others, perpetuating the problem!!!

PLEASE HELP BE PART OF THE SOLUTION AND EDUCATE YOURSELVES ON THE TRANSMITON ROUTES. We have the info, right here on BYC, so there is no reason to NOT do so!!!! If not for yourself, for those you deal with or come in contact with...PLEASE!!!!

10. I must've clicked on something, no idea how that came up as a "spoiler"? If you click on the + it will show the whole post and please do so, it is important that we all learn about and start doing something about the spread of these bad chicken diseases so we don't inadvertently spread this futhur!!!

Thanks everyone for you patience and for reading the links and becoming educated...a lot of the people talking about finding this in their flocks, had no idea that it even existed but education and taking the measures to insure you have a healthy clean flock can help with the heart ache that will inevitably ensure, if your flock contracts mareks or some of the other really horrible diseases!!! And the steps to take are really not that hard and well worth it, to protect your precious birds and others flocks too!!!

Thanks again for you patience and I hope you will all be responsible chicken owners and educate yourselves on mareks and other diseases, but especially mareks!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by