urgent/ rooster hurt eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oscar 1102, Jul 26, 2013.

1. oscar 1102

oscar 1102 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    We have a Rhode Island Red Rooster, among other roosters and hens. This rooster was hiding in corner of hen house. I got him out to look at him. His eye was swelled shut, leakage coming out, and I looked closer by pulling down the lid a little and it looked bloody. He has diaharra , green color. I did seperate him from the others.All of their water is medicated, I think that helped him. He is eating and drinking. He lets me handle him, usually him and his brother run from us. when I initally picked him up to look at him, he did have a piece of pine straw stunck by his eye. He could have gotten it scratched in a scuffle. What can we give him? We have recently sprayed all the chickens for chicken mites. We sprayed it under their wings like stated on label. They do get to free range a a few hours a day. Then we put them back in our fenced area. Lots of twigs and brush and grass etc. Thanks for any help. Need to get ointment or something and get him back with the group.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    They have several eye ointments. Vetrericyn makes a good eye was anticeptic you might want to try.make sure its the vetericyn EYE wash and not the wound spray. The eye anticeptic should help. My feed store carries it. Check your feed store. Hope this helps best wishes.

3. oscar 1102

oscar 1102 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Thank you I will try that. Should I keep him seperate from others for a while?

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I would. Just tell he gets a bit better. Hope he heals really soon! Best wishes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by