Urgent. Rooster with prolapse. ((PICS))

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by guinea fowl galore, Jul 23, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    My bantam rooster is lathargic, pale and has a huge very hard vent with something hard and bloody half coming out. With poo and blood caking his feathers around.
    What is this? how can a rooster get a prolapse? Do I treat this as you would a hen prolapse?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

3. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    The thing that I'm finding weird about this is that it is a rooster. If it was a hen I would definitely think egg prolaps but what is coming out of a rooster?

4. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I Tried to push it back in this morning. It was hard to push in and he was pushing against it. So I only pushed itback in a little bit. He strained straight after and it came back out. I'm going to leave it till this afternoon then I'll make the decision if it's worth trying to save him or if I should just put him out of his pain.
    This is the down side of keeping chickens.

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    What did you end up doing with this Rooster? My Cochin rooster has the same problem and CULLING is out of the question..

6. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I'm sorry but I did end up killing him. The thing coming out was very hard like a bone or something and caused him alot of pain when I tried to push it back in.
    If you want to save him then I suggest taking him to a vet.

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    That's too bad that you end up killing him. I did some research on the Internet and I can proudly tell you, there's no killing going on here. I got some honey and inject it directly into my Cochins rear, after an hour he still had this red bubbly thing sticking out but he was able to tuck it back in, so then I injected him with some preparation h, after another hour. It was not there. He was able to tuck it back in and it looks like he's keeping it tucked in. I must add before I did anything, I gave him a bath, he enjoyed soaking his butt in the nice warm water, then I clean him off using baby shampoo. Then I dried him off and started to inject him with the honey and preparation H. Looks like his is going to be ok and I'm soooo relieved and glad because 8/15 was his birthday, he just turned 1 year old....

I did get a hold of a vet who said it is very rare and unlikely for a rooster to get prolapse. Well I strongly believe that is what my Cochin has and the treatment to treat it seems to be working.

I wouldn't believe in a million years that honey would help with the swelling but in my case it seems to be working....

Hip hip horay..

8. jessie3859

jessie3859 Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2015
    Wondering how your Cochin rooster is today? I think my Cochin has same thing

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Good cock a doodling. Lol how are things there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by