Urgent. Save Organic Farms. NOW! Today!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mackay, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mackay

Mackay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Subject: Fwd: Monsanto tries to end organic farming
    Date: Wednesday, April 1, 2009, 5:11 PM

Please tell everyone who wants organic foods.....

US House and Senate are about (in a week and a half) to vote on bill that will OUTLAW ORGANIC FARMING (bill HR 875). There is an enormous rush to get this into law within the next 2 weeks before people realize what is happening.

Main backer and lobbyist is Monsanto ? chemical and genetic engineering giant corporation (and Cargill, ADM, and about 35 other related agri-giants). This bill will require organic farms to use specific
    fertilizers and poisonous insect sprays dictated by the newly formed agency to "make sure there is no danger to the public food supply". This will include backyard gardens that grow food only for a family and not for sales.

If this passes then NO more heirloom clean seeds but only Monsanto genetically altered seeds that are now showing up with unexpected diseases in humans.

There is a video on the subject.
    … re=related

And another one:

The name on this outrageous food plan is:
    Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (bill HR 875).
    THIS IS REAL, FOLKS! PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL CONCERNED ON YOUR MAILING LISTS & CALL YOUR SENATE REPRESENTETIVES TODAY!
    Get on that phone and burn up the wires. Get anyone else you can to do the same thing. The House and Senate WILL pass this if they are not massively threatened with loss of their position.... They only fear your voice and your vote.
    The best thing to do is go to Write Your Representative - Contact your Congressperson in the U.S. House of Representatives. <http://www.house.gov/writerep> all you have to do is put in your zip and it will give you your congressperson and how to get in touch with them. When you call their office someone will answer the phone, just tell them (politely) that you are calling to express your views on HR 875.
    Tell them your views, they'll take your name and address and pass your comments along to the congressperson.

The following link is a list of the U.S. senators and their contact info:
    http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG]

3. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    If there is a BYC member that is a very good writer they should write up a letter that we can all send.

4. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    This is one of the most absured, nonsensical bills I've ever heard of! Avoiding dangers to the mainstream food supply is the whole point of organic farming. It's pretty obvious that the bill is being pushed with intentions of eliminating the organic competition.

And why would they want to get rid of heirloom seeds? Could it be that they don't want people growing plants that naturally reproduce? It seems like they (the politicians) are trying to increase people's reliance upon them.

5. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    [​IMG] This is enough to drive someone over the brink! [​IMG] WHYYYYYY?????

6. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

There was a topic on this subject a week or so ago and I think we all decided ( those of us who read all or part of the bill ) that it did not specifically say ban organic farms. It did however leave the bill open for interpretation as to what it was accualy saying though.

7. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    the declaration of independence begins
    "When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation." I assume this would fall under the same as maybe a muslim woman having her driver's license picture with a berka on covering her face. You are feeding yourself and for all they know you hold the cow as sacred as the pope and they cannot tell you how to feed that cow. You would then have a separation to put in a provision or ammendment. Powers of the earth does not include bioengineering and tampering. Similar to stem cell research on aborted fetuses. There is a loop hole in there somewhere and we will have recourse if it comes to pass. There needs to be serious intervention so IT WILL NOT PASS. not too many people know about this regulation. We need to bring in some big mouths like O'reilly or someone. ASAP. I'm not a lawyer but this seems very illegal and immoral.

8. Eggzactly

Eggzactly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    marietta
    Thanks for the post

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by