URGENT: Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quarkz, Jan 26, 2012.

1. quarkz

quarkz New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi guys,

I have a pet bantam that is a very much loved member of the family. She lives inside and has done so her entire 6 years. She is incredibly tame and doesn't get stressed out in the company of humans (She actually prefers it) 3 days ago I noticed that she was acting sick, her feathers were ruffled and she couldn't walk. That morning I noticed a lot of yellow poops in her night cage. I had given her a raw egg the previous night though so I didn't think anything of it.

By the next day she was acting very sick. Couldn't stand, walk or eat/drink. She just sits there with her eyes closed sleeping. I started to force water her and took her to the vet that morning. The vet diagnosed her as being egg bound and they said due to their inexperience we should put her down. I decided to take her home instead, we expected her to pass that night. She gave me some science diet cat food to force feed her, which I did.

She didn't pass that night and looked perkier in the morning. She was now opening her eyes more, standing and even preening herself. We decided to take her to another vet. They claimed they couldn't even find an egg so they just gave me some antibiotics (Oxymav B) and sent me on my way.

Yesterday she was looking as good as she was the previous day. Still sitting with her eyes closed but opening them more often and attempting to stand/walk more. I started force watering her with the antibiotics + gatorade and force feeding her cooked egg, rolled oats and probiotic yoghurt.

Today she is looking worse again. She hasn't passed a proper poop yet, only very watery ones with a tiny little bit of food. I have attached a picture below of what she pooped out 10 minutes ago. She didn't digest much if any of the food from yesterday and her crop feels like it's still got seeds in it from 3 days ago.

If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated. There isn't a avian vet for 1000km (I live in Blackwater, QLD, Australia) so I will have to try and pull her through it myself.

Thankyou in advance guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    She could have sour crop as well.

3. quarkz

quarkz New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Her breath doesn't smell foul, does that rule it out?

4. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    I don't know very much about it; all I know is that they poop like you said they did and act very sick. Check out the stickies here for it; you may have a surgery on the crop your hands.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  5. quarkz

quarkz New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    I've been given advise on another forum that due to her dark comb/face that she probably had a respiratory infection. Told I should get hold of some Tylan 200.

Do you guys think this might be the case?

6. quarkz

quarkz New Egg

Jan 26, 2012
    Just letting you guys know Frankie passed away about 15 minutes ago. She had too much fluid in her crop and it came up into her lungs. It was one of the worst things I've ever had to witness. Had her booked in to get put down this afternoon which makes it incredibly difficult to accept. Thanks for your help anyway guys, it is very much appreciated.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm sorry. Alot of times we never know why. She looks like she had that bright green poo. It looks like her comb was purplish. Maybe cardiac failute?

9. Im so sorry! that mustve been horrible. happened to me more times than i can count but they were killed by racoons or something.[​IMG]

10. Eggopolis

Eggopolis New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    So sorry for your loss. It's a tough time you've been through. Frankie is in a better place now, with no pain or sickness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by