**urgent** Sick goose :(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sandipuppy, Jan 22, 2013.

1. sandipuppy

sandipuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    One of my new Emdens is sick :(

He is lethargic, not moving and his poop is green and like clay. Any ideas what is going on?

2. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    No idea.... is he eating & drinking?? If he is drinking, try giving him some electrolytes (like Sav-a-chick or Poultry-Nutri drench)

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Any chance he swallowed something non-food? Poor guy!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    • What food is he on?
    • What is his water source?
    • What is his housing?
    • Is there a chance he ate rotting vegetation, or spoiled food?
    • Is there a chance he got a hold of mushrooms?
    • Do you pick up all trash bits no matter how small including feed bag string, zip ties, any and all metal?

5. sandipuppy

sandipuppy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks everybody but he died last night :(

We feed them corn and wheat, of which they don't eat enough of as far as I'm concerned. Fresh water multiple times a day because it freezes so fast.
    No chance of him picking up anything because the temps are riding at -25F and they are confined to their stall.
    Their stall is dry with straw as bedding. 4 walls with a roof and windows open at the South side because that's where the pigeon fly-out is.

He was fine when Hubby checked them before bed night before...when he went to feed the next am the poor dude was just hunkered on the ground not moving. Was hard to the touch. Wouldn't eat. I tried to give him water but couldn't for the life of me pry open his beak. Hubby brought him inside to get him warm. He was wheezing lightly. Runny, blue/green droppings.

He wasn't the healthiest when we got him, had the runs bad because the guy was feeding him some kind of "brown layer"? pellet feed. Thought he was improving...guess I was wrong.

6. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    So sorry [​IMG]

8. clucky3255

clucky3255 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry for your goose.:( *hugz*[​IMG]

9. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    Im still learning new things since I found forums focused on poultry. Ive always fed layer pellets but I see that you say something about them causing the runs?? Are they not supposed to eat layer pellets? Ive had them for 3 years and havent had an issue at all with it...I also feed fresh veggies and scrambled eggs throughout the week as well. The water freezing is a concern of mine too, I feel like we cant give them enough water right now...I suppose the lack of water would make them more susceptable to illness :-/....it's almost Spring! Hope the rest of your geese fair well. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  10. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    So sorry for you loss...

Geese eat waterfowl feed or you can mix whole oats in the feed. Mainy grass, can have different lettuces, iceberg not a good souce of greens for them. Carrots, watermelon, tomaotes, some corn, sunflower seeds, cantalope, honeydew melon, starwberries, red or green grapes. Other will chime in with more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by