!!Urgent!! Sick guinea fowl who has survived numerous other sicknesses but is now very sick...

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Cassowary, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Cassowary

Cassowary Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    I need help quick if I'm going to save my one and only beloved guinea fowl! I have been researching, but cannot pinpoint what disease he has--here are the symptoms.

Very lethargic-walks a little, then sits down. Can't seem to balance quite right, and closes his eyes to sleep often.

No appetite-he drinks more water than normal, but will not eat food. His poop is almost completely water now, which is how I know he hasn't been eating.

Will not talk-it is very unusual for my guinea not to chirp in greeting or talk to my sister's guinea fowl. He does not make a noise anymore.

Swollen Abdomen-my guinea's breast has shriveled to almost nothing, and his rear is puffed like a water balloon. Something must be clogging him, but I'm really sure it's not worms because I have inspected his poop and all the other chickens we have are unaffected.

Most likely not a bacteria-I have revived my guinea fowl from sickness twice before with penicillin. (once when attacked by an owl, another time when he got a different type of sickness.) But now when I'm using penicillin he shows no signs of getting better--so maybe he has a virus? If so, I don't know what to treat him with. Really I just need to know what exactly disease he has.

Past Cases-every now and then one of our chickens gets these same exact symptoms, and at the stage my guinea fowl is at they are only a few days from death. Still, it doesn't seem to be contagious because only one chicken will get it then die. Perhaps the causing agent is in the area? I don't think it would be dirty water, but perhaps moldy food?

Any advice, explanation, or helpful insights are appreciated!!! I really need this sickness identified though. I have seen in the forums very similar described symptoms, but no "oh it's this disease."

2. Cassowary

Feb 16, 2016
    My guinea seems to be acting slightly better today--he is by himself in a cage in our garage, and has eaten some food. His poop is a little more solid. I understand if he has a virus, there may not be anything I can do for him and I have to let the sickness run its course... I'm praying for him. :) If anyone else wants to pray for my guinea fowl Eclipse, I would appreciate it. :)

3. Cassowary

Feb 16, 2016
    My guinea fowl is still hanging in there. I did some more research, and I think Lymphoid Leukosis is the closest match to what my guinea fowl has. I have a question though--does anyone have any idea how effective Penicillin is after almost a year past expiration? I've read that some drugs can be effective 10 years past expiration, but I wanted to double-check if anyone has had any experience...

4. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Unfortunately I don't have any answers to your questions. I've had guineas for a year, but I've never had one get sick.
    Your guy sounds like he's been through a few tough times.
    I stopped in to say that I hope he gets better.

I don't know if how long Penicillan stays effective for...since it needs refrigeration.
    It's not like an injectable vitamin.
    We've used penicillin on the odd cow when it's been a few months past expiry... but I'm not sure if it would be reliable beyond that.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  5. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
  6. guinealeghorn

guinealeghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2016
    I'm worried about my guinea too. She is about 1 month old and has some of the same symptoms as yours does. She also has an unusually short neck. I hope yours gets better!

7. guinealeghorn

guinealeghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2016
    I gave my guineas and leghorns save a chick probiotics and electrolytes 2 days ago. Since then my guinea has been feeling better. She hangs out with the other guinea fowl and even runs around! :-D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by