URGENT!!!!! Sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 63sportsman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. 63sportsman

63sportsman Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Hello,
    I need some advice on cause and possible treatment.

Last Friday I noticed my rooster acted like he didnt feel well. I noticed he was not eating, so i hand feed him all weekend.
    On Sunday morning I noticed both eyes swollen shut, based on what I have read here this was an indication of a respitory issue and to treat with antibiotics. I also hand feed him some sweet corn.
    On Monday I Started treating with Duramysin 10. Feed him some more corn in the morning. Today he stopped eating good.
    Yesterday I could not get him to eat hardly anything. Eyes still swollen shut.
    Today ate nothing this morning. This evening after work, I noticed his crop was full , so I massaged it some and got gas out of it. I then held him upside down a bit and got lots of cloudy slimy fluid out of him and some of the corn that I feed him on Monday morning.

I dont think that he is impacted because he was passing the food untill yesterday. Does anybody have any suggestions on what should be done next.

P.S. He has been wormed and I dont see any signs of worms.

Thanks 63sportsman

2. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    Please see my blog post on infectious coryza. Even if it is not coryza specifically, the protocol there will work if you have caught it in time. I would not feed any solids.

earthmama24.blogspot.com/2011/03/natural-treatment-of-infectious-coryza.html

Hope you can get him fixed up ASAP. Does he have a bad smell?

earthmama24

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Link to common poultry diseases:
    http://www.raising-chickens.org/poultry-ailments.html
    Conjunctivitis:
    Incidence: common poultry ailment in flocks raised on deep litter, especially in winter.
    System/organ affected: eyes
    Symptoms: rubbing of eyes with wings, reluctance to move, avoidance of sunlight, one or both eyes cloudy, nose and eyes water, blindness.
    Cause: ammonia fumes from accumulated droppings, vitamin A deficiency, infection.
    Transmission: environmental, does not spread from bird to bird.
    Prevention: provide proper nutrition and good ventilation. Avoid wet litter.
    Treatment: replacing wet litter or correcting vitamin A deficiency in early stages leads to a recovery in about two months, but will not reverse blindness.

Infectious Coryza
    Incidence: common chicken ailment worldwide, especially in fall and winter in tropical and temperate environments.
    System/organ affected: respiratory
    Symptoms: in chicks: nasal discharge, facial swelling, one or both eyes closed, death. In growing birds: watery eyes, eyelids stuck together, reddish bad smelling discharge from nose, drop in feed consumption.
    Cause: bacteria: it does not survive long in environment and is easily destroyed with disinfectants.
    Transmission: contagious; contact with infected birds and their nasal discharge.
    Prevention: avoid mixing birds from different flocks. Remove the infected birds and disinfect and leave the housing vacant for at least three weeks. Vaccinate only if the disease is positively identified.
    Treatment: different drugs. Culling is preferred since survivors may be carriers.

Infectious Laryngotracheitis
    Incidence: common chicken ailment worldwide
    System/organ affected: upper respiratory tract
    Symptoms: (mild infection) watery inflamed eyes, swollen sinuses, nasal discharge, drop in egg production.(acute infection) nasal discharge, coughing, shaking, breathing through mouth, gasping.
    Cause: a herpes virus that affects primarily chickens and pheasants and cannot live off the bird.
    Transmission: highly contagious: inhaled virus from infected bird or contaminated litter, rodents, shoes, etc.
    Prevention: flock isolation and scrupulous sanitation.

4. 63sportsman

May 1, 2010
    earthmama24, Thanks for the reply and very good write up on your blog.
    To answer your question, No there doent seem to be any out of the ordinary smell originating from him.

Also to add, within the last month I did find mites on him and had to dust the entire flock. They have been though the second dusting and there are no signs of the mites any longer. However i did start to notice him bing uncomfortable only a couple of days after the second dusting. Does this have any contribution to the situation?

Thanks All....

5. 63sportsman

May 1, 2010
    Update this morning:
    Tried to give some electrolytes first thing this morning, he took only one drink and that was it, no food.
    His eyes seem to be a bit better, as he is opening them to look around.
    I observed both last night and this morning that he is building up a major amount of gas in his crop. I have to massage it some to get him to burp some of it out. I have never noticed his crop so full before and am worried that the gas build-up may cause his death.
    Has anybody else experienced this before?

6. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    How's your Roo? I have never personally experienced the gas build up thing but if that is an issue, maybe he is not digesting? Let us know what you found out.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by