1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT!!!!!!!!!! sizzle chick is gaping, no balance, eyes closed, mucu

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roll8221, Nov 19, 2008.

1. roll8221

roll8221 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have a baby chick gaping with no balance and chirping and mucus coming fom its mouth......I found another sizzle dead this morning what is this? how can i treat it? I only have one sizzle left after this one. it ont open its eyes either.

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  3. What are you using for bedding? I had a chick do that when I used pine shavings and then found that it had inhaled a chip. Thank God I was able to get it out. Make sure he stays nice and warm. I give a few drops of pedialyte to them when they do this and also hold them, nice and snug, and just gently rub them. Unfortnately all to often when chicks get to this stage, they don't tend to make it, but I have had ones pull through...

4. roll8221

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    I actually am using pine shavings but it seems to only be happening to my sizzles.

5. roll8221

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    IT just died in my hands. I threw up everything in its crop as it went. it was all mucusy.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, so sorry !!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Some chicks just fail to thrive, how many have you lost ??

7. roll8221

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Florida
    I lot two of the three sizzles i had. Its only the sizzles though. I hvnt lost any of the others that were incubated in the same bator and hatchd at the same time. I dont understand it. The third one looks like he may be gettng the same symptoms.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Did you hatch them from your eggs or shipped eggs ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by