URGENT! URGENT! Found a baby bird on the ground, in the heat.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sgsf, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    This baby (if it is a baby) bird is about the size of a humming bird. I found it outside, brought it in, layed down a towel in a box, added some water and bread. She/he only has feathers on her head and partly her wings. Mainly the larger feathers. She has absolutely no feathers on her back or legs.

What can I do?

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Is there a local wildlife rescue/wild bird rescue in your area that you can contact? Often they can take in and care for baby birds depending on their condition. Good luck!

3. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    No, not that I know of. [​IMG]

4. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    i raised 2 sparrows when they fell out of a tree. they were about 2 days old when i got them. they got canned ground cat food. i placed it on the end of a small paint brush-not the brush end-(a brush like you'd get with childrens watercolors.) if his eyes are open he'll see you coming and open his mouth. you'll have to put the food sort of down his throat and he should swallow it. if his eyes aren't open, they can see shadows and may open, or tap the end of the beek with the brush. you might need to sit the box on a heating pad on low to keep him warm. let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

5. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Should I leave it outside, by our door? It's 76-78 degrees in our house, and 101 outside. Does it need the heat?

6. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    Wild birds are much stronger than Chickens and such. they can withstand a wide range of temperatures. Home temps should be fine if you do some simple things to protect it and allow it to stay warm. basically make it a nest of paper towels or other soft paper. food is more important. right now they do not drink water they get that from their food so it must be a large percentage of water in the food. do not feed them any meat that has fat in it. the oil is very bad for birds. but lean meats and cat foods are good. basically spoon feed the cat food to the bird they will get it figured out. they need to eat often, every two hours around the cock in the first few days. but you can get them to a day and night schedule after about a week or so. If it is alive and looking fairly normal right now, food is your main concern. Bread is not good, it fills them up but does not have anywhere near the nutritional value the bird needs.

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    If you want the mother to take it back (in case it fell out of the nest, and wasn't pushed) use a margarine container, or other such sized container, put a kleenex in the container so it isn't slippery, and nail it, or otherwise attach it as high up in the tree it fell out of (or as close as you can guess). The mother will come back for it if you stay away. Put it up high enough to protect it from cats, etc. If she doesn't come back, then you can bring it inside and try to rehab it. It will have the best chance for a "normal" life if you get it back with it's mother. PS -it's an old wives tale that says that a bird won't take back a baby once a human has touched it.

eta: if you post your location, someone here may know of a licensed wildlife rehabber in your area, or a bird sanctuary that would take it in. Where I live, it is actually illegal to rehad wildlife without a license...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Would smoked ham be good? It's easy for the bird.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:No, too salty. Canned cat food is best. Also, any idea what kind of bird it might be? It would make a difference if it's a bug eater vs. a seed eater...

10. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Not too sure. I'll try and get a picture, hang on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by