1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

URGENT- Very Derformed Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady Bee, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Lady Bee

Lady Bee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    AL
    Hi all,

On Mon. my long awaited for eggs hatched under my hen. I went to check on them and there was a very deformed chick, it is now inside and I need help. The beak is twisted and one eye is shut. It cant walk straight and sways it's head back and forth. It is smaller and less fluffy than the other. I dipped its beak in water and it drank. Should I try to feed it? What do I do? ANY advice would be great.

-Lady Bee

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Can you get a photo? I hate to say this and Im sure I wont be the last but it sounds like you should cull it..For now keep it warm ..make sure it has access to food and water... how bad is beak? IM SORRY [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sorry to hear about your baby. [​IMG]

4. jcoi812

jcoi812 New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    I had a little chick with a twisted beak, I tried everything and thought it was doing ok. Then, one morning it was dead. I was crushed. I hate to say it but don't let it suffer, my mom was right I should of just killed it. Sorry but it will be better off.
    [​IMG]

5. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    send it to me

6. Lady Bee

Lady Bee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    AL
    Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, the chick died this morning when he was knocked into the chick waterer, couldn't get himself up and drowned. [​IMG] But I suppose it was for the best, the chick didn't suffer very long. [​IMG]

7. QuinnP

QuinnP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    oh I am so sorry. HUGS

8. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Oh I am so sorry
    I hope you feel better soon [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  9. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    sorry for your loss, My deepest sympathy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by