{URGENT} Very ill Chicken

-Chicken Lady-

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
New Zealand
I found this site last night and joined straight away!
yippiechickie.gif

The issue is that I have one Brown Shaver chicken, who is the oldest out of the flock, but she's always been a healthy strong bird until quite recently. She's been hunched up, walking around at an unusually slow pace with her tail feather dropping low. She's eating normally and also laying as usual, but doesn't look good at all. Her feathers have paled a bit around her face.

All my other chickens are perfectly fine and laying so I'm guessing this isn't a disease of some sort. Is there anything I could do to help her? I hate watching her suffer the way she is
sad.png

Thanks~!

I found this site last night and joined straight away! :yiipchick

The issue is that I have one Brown Shaver chicken, who is the oldest out of the flock, but she's always been a healthy strong bird until quite recently. She's been hunched up, walking around at an unusually slow pace with her tail feather dropping low. She's eating normally and also laying as usual, but doesn't look good at all. Her feathers have paled a bit around her face.

All my other chickens are perfectly fine and laying so I'm guessing this isn't a disease of some sort. Is there anything I could do to help her? I hate watching her suffer the way she is :(

Thanks~! 

Hello, sorry to hear about your girl. Eating and laying are good signs.

Have you thoroughly examined her yet? If not check her for mites or lice as she could be anemic from a parasite load. Feel her abdomen and keel bone. Note whether she feels as heavy as the last time you picked her up. Anything your unsure of you can simply compare to another of your chickens. Of course look for wounds etc.I don't believe there is any sure way to tell if she has worms without having a fecal sample tested.

Let us know how that goes and hopefully others will chime in.

Welcome to BYC. Are you positive she is laying? I would look at the skin and under her vent for any mites or lice. Has she been wormed recently? Any diarrhea or blood in stools? How old is she? Coccidiosis, mites, or worms could cause pallor, puffing up, and lethargy. Could she be eggbound? You can insert a lubricated gloved finger into the vent to examine her for an egg stuck. A hot bath and a calcium tablet crushed would be what I would do if she is egg bound.

Hi

I think she is due another worming so that might be the issue. However I will try your other suggestions and see if there are any good results (-:

She's my favorite bird and I would do anything to help her. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom