Urgent, very sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmdhart, Aug 26, 2010.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    One of my red star hens (about 2 years old) is very sick. She has goop coming out of her eyes and nostrils. Her eyes are VERY swollen, the skin around them is very red, and she has lost feathers around her face and elsewhere on her body. There are no signs of mites. I have seperated her from the rest of the flock, have given her some Poly - vi- sol and water with vinegar in it. I have put neosporin in her eyes. She is not eating though. I have tried mixed bird seed, laying crumbles, scratch, rice crispies, cheerios, cooked rice...................... I'm about to try some scrambled eggs. I have duramycin on hand and am going to try to get some of that down her. I also have sulmet on hand. Would that be better to use?
    I have pictures, but don't know how to post them here.

2. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    Toward the top of this page is a menu list. One of those is upload. Click it, then browse for your photo. Once you upload it, it will give you a code that starts like [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I have just tried scrambled eggs and she won't touch those either! Here are some pictures (thanks for telling me how)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chevis

Chevis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    OMG!! I have the same problem!!!! Is her poop very loose and olive colored? My hens breath also smells like rotten eggs? Any help would be appreciated! Someone told me it might b Coryoza?[​IMG] [​IMG]:confused:

5. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    I'm not sure about her poop yet - she hasn't pooped today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by