1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent What is this illness, chickens are dying. Pics Included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suebee, Feb 18, 2014.

1. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I've had 4 silkies die in the last month without any outward signs. Symptoms of roosters were only a raspy crow. No symptoms from hens. Now this rooster's eyes are gooped up terribly. Please, any advice would be great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    Have you recently changed bedding? I know of chickens getting sick like that from certain types of shavings.

3. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    No. Nothing has changed, except I brought in some new birds. Last fall I traveled to another state to get a friend's 6 silkies. 3 are dead and 4th below is sick. First death was a roo that started having a hard time breathing. When I first got him I noticed his head area/breath smelled foul but thought he was just dirty. He never had any discharge at all. Next death was a hen but thought she was egg bound. Next death was my own beautiful white silkie roo. No visible signs of illness except a raspy crow. Next death, this morning, a porcelain hen...no visible signs of illness. Now this roo has something I haven't seen before in my flock. He is part of the 6 silkies I got from another state. I used vetRX on his nostrils and inside his beak, under his wings, and I put my whole flock on antibiotics. I don't know what I've got! Even the ones who were on antibiotics died so I'm scared this could wipe out my entire flock.

4. alaskanchickens

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    I personally would take all the healthy chickens out and temporarily house them somewhere else, maybe the garage or something. Im not sure about vetRX as we use natural supplements for prevention. Have you noticed any blood in their stool? You can start putting Braggs apple cider vinegar in the water than can help flush out any parasites that may be in their system. Also a saline solution to rinse the eyes and nostrils of all chickens, sick or not. That's a very scary and sad situation and I'm sorry you're having to go through it!

5. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Thanks for your input. I have 25 silkies and one coop. I could completely clean and bleach it. Problem is, whatever I've got seems contagious. So if they keep giving it to each other, no matter how many times I disinfect my coop, the sickness will still be there I guess. Just going crazy right now. I've worked over 10 years developing this show quality silkie flock and now it could take just a matter of minutes to wipe it all out.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Foul smell about the head area is typical Infectious Coryza. Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) can accompany coryza as well. I recommend that you cull the sick birds, they will spread the disease(s) to your other birds and will be carriers for life.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    ACV will not flush out parasites. I've been using it for years and still have had to worm my birds.

8. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I thought I did the smart thing when I first got the "new, out of town" silkies by quarantining them for a whole month last fall, but no. My silkies never died of any illness except internal laying so this is quite a shock.

9. alaskanchickens

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have had nothing but good experiences, whether it be for preventative or for a existing condition it has worked wonderfully. Granted, parasites and "bugs" don't thrive up here but we did eliminate worms in 9 chickens we got last year. But back to the issue at hand. After looking into that I would have to agree that culling is probably necessary to save the rest of your flock.

10. smith76

smith76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Listen to dawg53. I just had the same problem and same symptoms in my birds. I to quarantine and was still sr perating the two flocks when the illness occurred. Guess I cross contaminated at feeding. I injected all birds with LA 200 and they are better but still carriers. I want to cull and start over but the wife is having an issue with the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by