URGENT! What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Russo's Roost, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    [[​IMG]][/i
    [​IMG]]
    I hope the pictures come out right:
    This is what one of my hens just laid after in the nesting box.
    It is a partially developed egg with a yolk with sometihng attached to it that is completely foreign to me, the outside is sort of like sandpaperish or like sharks skin and the inside is clear jelly like, it is attached to the egg at one end. I don't think it is a worm or parasite, I am affraid it is part of her reproductive system. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it is and what I can do for the hen that laid it, she seems OK but it has been less then an hour since she dropped this. Feel free to call me with advise if you would like 802-851-8080.

2. BYC_In_Long_Beach

BYC_In_Long_Beach Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    That is a soft egg! Make sure your hen is having enough calcium.

3. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    I know the egg is a soft egg, what about the whit thing attached to it, is that part of teh soft egg also? It sort of makes sense because the inside of the white attachment is like egg white. They do get plenty of calcium, I give it to them free feed right next to their food.
    I hope you are right, thanks for the quick reply.

4. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    possibly a worm?? [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with the other poster. I've had this happen and the white thing attached is a failed attempt of egg casing not making a hard shell. It's a minor screw up within the chicken. There are various reasons this happens but most of the time it's something basic like heat stress, change in feed, etc...you need to increase your hens calcium intake. Go to a pharmacy and get calcium tablets. Take 4 or 5 of them and crush them into a powder, sprinkle the powdered calcium in her feed. Do this for about 4 or 5 days and see if there's any hardening of her shells. If not, continue with the calcium for a few more days. Make sure she has access to crushed oyster shell. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by