URGENT...when will they hatch?! :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilovemydog, Jun 5, 2012.

1. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Okay so this man gave my dad 12 eggs to try and hatch. Well supposely the man gave them to my dad around May 17. OK, so i know more about chickens then my dad does. But my dad left the 12 eggs in the egg carton sitting around in the house and he kept rotating the egg carton and would have one side higher then the other. He started turning them the day the man gave them to him. But i found out that the man had the eggs for about a week before he gave them to my dad is that okay?. So on May 19 or 20th, i candled the eggs, i know what im doing but i didn't see anything. Then on May 25 (yes a little bit late) i set the eggs in the incubator. I candled them again on June 3rd and 8 out of the 12 had great developing air sacs and a shadow in the egg. Then i examined their air sacs carefully and noticed they were a perfect circle and they were very smalll. So i am thinking these chicks are far along.But the main question is: When will they hatch? When should i stop turning them in the incubator?

P.S. : Im 15, and not very good grammer, hopefully yall can understand this crazy story LOL:/

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    You could expect babies round the 15th then. My be sooner, may be later... But I reckon the 15th.

3. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    I candled them again and the air sacs look a little smaller. I think maybe your right.

ANYONE ELSE?

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Songster

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    I'd say June 15th-ish too. Which means you should stop turning them around June 12th. Good luck!

5. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks! How did you figure that out, when did you start counting my days? Just so i know in advance!

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Crowing

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If you start on the day you put the eggs in the incubator (25th) and then move forward 3 weeks on the calender, it gives you the 15th. That is about when they should hatch.

7. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Okay, so far they look Good. ! Im keeping my temperature steady. When i candle around the 18th day shouldn't the egg almost be completely dark?

8. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Songster

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    Sorry for not replying sooner. To determine the hatch date, you start with the day you set the eggs in the incubator - that is day 0. Then on (or near) day 21, they should hatch. I just had some hatch -set the eggs in the incubator on May 19th so Day 21 would be June 9th - half the chicks hatched on Friday June 18 and the other half on Saturday June 19th - one late one hatched today. If you candled them yesterday or today, they should be mostly dark inside - all I could see on Day 18 was dark at one end and a growing air cell at the other. Hopefully you have stopped turning them and are basically waiting for the hatch now. Good luck and I hope it goes well!

9. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Songster

Dec 21, 2010
    VA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: