URGENT!!! Wierd Poo but Acting Healthy? UPDATE: Fly maggots...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryQueen29, Dec 17, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just noticed strange poo in the run today. It looked liked a pale worm coiled up and wasnt mushy like normal poo but rubbery like a worm. There was no poo surrounding it just that wormy thing. The chickens all look healthy and are acting fine exept my black silkie (10 weeks old) has a little white stuff on her booty feathers below her vent. Is that normal? I know normal poop has white stuff in it so do all chickens have that but it just shows up more on black? Should I worm them just incase they have worms? My BR pullet recently passed away of an unknown illness but she didn't have the same symptoms as my others do now. I really can't lose another one of my babies so please answer me quick. I'm going to head out to home depot soon so if I need to pick something up at tractor supply i'd like to know.

****UPDATE:**** I think it was a fly maggot as I pictured below. I'm sorry everyone i'm just so paranoid about my 3 little babies getting sick after what happened to my BR pullet.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Please please help me [​IMG]

I was thinking capillaria worms. The symptoms sound just like what my BR pullet was like before she passed away. Will it hurt them if I worm them and they dont have worms?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Dont worm them yet, that can harm them. Weird question but could you post a pic for me to be sure.

4. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Oh wow. I will get a pic for you.

5. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    If you have never wormed them I would go ahead especially of you found visible worms in droppings. If you have time then search the forum for your best choices and pay attention to posts by dawg53, he seems to be the go to guy on wormings. If not I use safeguard horse worming paste a small pea sized amount directly in the mouth. Repeat again in 7-10 days and withdraw eggs for 24 days. I hope it helps.

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well I went out to the run to the exact same spot where I found the poo and I couldn't find it to save my life! I did find this poo though

[​IMG]

7. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Maybe its because I'm looking at this on a 4 in smartphone screen, but that looks normal to me. Maybe an expert at poo reading will come along.

8. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I know it probably is normal XD I'm just paranoid. I actually think it was a fly maggot that I saw. Here is a picture of fly maggots and they look just like what I saw

[​IMG]

9. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Keep an eye on the situation and do some research around the forum. Maybe its nothing and maybe its something... I, personally, would worm my birds if it hasn't ever been done. Again, do your research and decide after you have informed yourself of pros and cons

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:x2. I would use a smaller dose (maybe dose for bantams) if you're going to worm 10wk-olds. I'm currently trying to work out the timing for my first worming (my girls are 5 months)... of course it's christmas time and I'll be out of town!

Good luck. Do look for Dawg53's posts. He's done a lot of work learning about worming and the effectiveness of different wormers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by