URGENT! Young pullet with broken beak! Help! *Pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 77horses, Oct 17, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I was just outside in the coop visiting some of the chickens. Juno (a RIR/Red Star mix pullet(?) that we hatched) and her friend, Peanut (a Buff Orp/Splash Cochin pullet that we hatched) were in the coop, and the rest were outside.
    I noticed that Peanut's beak looked different...and when I looked at it, it looked crooked. [​IMG] Then I looked closer and saw that it wasn't that her beak was deformed, but that it had cracked and was crooked. [​IMG] The crack has some dried blood on it, so it wasn't today that it happened. I didn't notice it the last time I was here at my dad's house, which was last weekend, so it happened this past week.

Peanut is about...4 months now (born on June 12th, 2009). She looks to be eating fine on her own despite her cracked beak and she acts normal and it doesn't seem to bother her.
    What should I do??? I'm worried that it will get infected or something or it will completely fall off. The crack can be seen from the inside of her mouth, so it's not just a deep scratch on the surface of her beak. It's about as long as a little less than half her beak. Here's some pictures to help: (sorry if they turn out blurry)
    [​IMG] (notice how her beak is crooked and the crack has some dried blood on it)
    [​IMG]
    I hope Peanut turns out OK; will the beak just heal and always be crooked? Will it get infected and fall off?
    Any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Anyone????? Should we just leave her alone and make sure she keeps eating/drinking on her own without any problems? Should we put something on it to keep it from getting infected? Will it fall off? If so, what can we do to prevent that from happening? If it does fall off, what do we do?
    Help! It may not look serious from the pics but I'm still worried about it. [​IMG]

3. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I have heard of people super gluing beaks, maybe that will help it to not fall off.

4. Chicken Lass

Chicken Lass Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    I had a hen who's beak did get broken off one time. Thankfully I was there at the time it happened and was able to care for her right away. Somehow the big rooster I had at the time stepped on her - I have no idea how he was able to break her beak! Maybe she had a fragile beak to start with.
    I took Darla inside and called the vet because she was bleeding pretty bad. They said to put flour on it - something about the flour would help stop the bleeding. Well, after a time the bleeding did stop (it took me holding pressure on the spot for a long time).
    Darla was fine after that, although her beak did grow back weird - kind of curled up. I just made sure her food was in bowls after that so she could get food in her mouth.
    As for how to keep a beak from breaking off, I'm not sure. I hope someone can help you!

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I would let it be and it should grow out. If she is able to drink and eat she should be fine. The main thing is that it's not bleeding and fooling around with it might cause the bleeding to start again.

6. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    she should be fine

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Check to make sure she is eating. If she is, then everything is fine. I have a roo who almost debeaked himself trying to fight with another roo through an expanded metal cage wall. Much worse than your girl. He ate lightly for a couple of days (so I fed him handfeeding formula), and then as the pain apparently resolved, he went back to eating a normal amount. Today, a few months later, you can't even tell.

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Thanks everyone! I watched Peanut eat today to make sure she is eating enough; she seems to be eating fine. [​IMG]

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I noticed some special "bandaid"thingys for cracked nails when I was at the drugstore the other day... if you can stabilize it ( and keep feed from becoming caked in the crack) it should repair itself with time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by