URGENT

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bardicshy, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Bardicshy

Bardicshy New Egg

May 16, 2016
    I've found some ducks that have been in a small watersource with no way to get out, and no parent for almost 4 hours.

Should I get them out? Are they orphans? I called a wildlife center. Wasn't much help.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If they're young and appear to be stuck then yes, I would get them out. Young ducklings can become chilled easily in water and die, or eventually they will get exhausted and die. Once you get them out I'd see if the wildlife place will let you bring them in because it would be illegal for you to keep them after rescuing them, unfortunately. Until you can get them to a rehabber, they will need a heat source such as a heat lamp and feed that you can buy at a feed store - chick feed will work. Also make sure to provide them drinking water.

3. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    If they are very young they will chill and die if they can't get out of the water.

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Would any one really know if they were to take the ducks home?
    Just wondering

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Possibly. They're likely wild mallards, and domestic mallards are marked in a certain way when they hatch so that they're legal to own. Wild ones won't have this mark. If they somehow did get caught with them, they could be facing fines and jail time, which to me is not worth the risk. Also, if they did take them, they'd be committing to keep them forever, because mallards raised by people who don't know how to raise them for release when older can never be released - they won't know how to find food and they won't be predator savvy, so they would either starve or be killed by predators. Plus it's still illegal, so it just shouldn't be done.

6. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Thanks.....In my area, we have parks where everyone dumps their ducks after easter. So sad. I can't raise ducks, but I guarantee that if i see dumped baby chickens I would bring them home in a heartbeat.

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Those you could actually take - any domestic breed is fair game for taking home. It's just wild ducks that you can't take. Dumping is very sad, and more sad still because they're not likely to survive at all.

8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    O really! Thanks!

9. Bardicshy

Bardicshy New Egg

May 16, 2016
    I contacted a roommate for a box and some kids helped me catch the ducklings and put them in the box. There are small ledges where the ducklings would go, but they were still unable to get out of that place. One of the person said he saw them there since yesterday, and they had their parents around, but he hasn't seen any adult ducks around since that time.

We took them to a wildlife center. They were all huddled up together in the box, and they would sometimes fight to get in the middle.

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm so glad you were able to help them! Sounds like they were cold so you did the right thing by getting them out of there. With no parents and having been stuck in there since yesterday they wouldn't have lasted much longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by