1. TSCchickenchick

TSCchickenchick New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    My hen, sunny, got her toe tangled in a string from a feed bag ( I'm can't believe I missed it!) This evening I found her dangling inches above the growing by her toe.
    I've brought her inside as it's well below zero here ( not in the coop, but she is SO cold)
    Her toe is broken but her hip and foot seem alrightish. She is stiff and falls over backwards without assistance. I've warmed her with a blow drier,( it's what I had). She is now wrapped in a towel to prop her correctly and has a heat pad on her back and another on her belly. I tried the smallest amount of Kato syrup but she can't lift her head and I'm afraid of respiratory distress if I force it. Anything else????

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sorry for the circumstances. Warm her up gradually, but make sure she does not overheat. I would not force any food or liquids at this time. Keep her secluded and quiet. Tomorrow she may or may not be mobile depending upon how much muscle/hip/leg damage she suffered. Good luck. The broken toe is the least of her worries.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How is she today ?

4. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Any updates?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by