URGENT!!

kaymelynn

Hatching
Jul 6, 2021
I have eggs pipping under my broody hen, when I checked this morning there was an egg with almost half of the shell missing and I can see a white membrane covering that half. The membrane is white, dry and hard. Do I need to help this chick? Should I leave it?

I keep reading....looking for others that have seen this or experienced it. So many of you say to leave well enough alone and let nature do the work. This is what I will do for now. The chick is moving and chirping inside the white membrane. Maybe with time it will make it.

I have eggs pipping under my broody hen, when I checked this morning there was an egg with almost half of the shell missing and I can see a white membrane covering that half. The membrane is white, dry and hard. Do I need to help this chick? Should I leave it?
I've had this before but only once, u need to carefully wet the membrane otherwise the chick will find it hard to get out

Does it look like the missing shell was pecked off by the chick from inside, or is it missing because it was stepped on? Sometimes this unlucky scenario happens under broody hens. I would retrieve that egg, wet the membrane with either bacitracin ointment or coconut oil and make sure that chick has a breathing hole available. I tend to hold onto those because it's too easy for the hen to shift her weight and the chick can't move (trapped in the membrane) and doesn't have the shell for protection either. Then once it pushes its way out after you wet the membrane, give it back to mom. That's my advice. Here's an excellent resource for all things hatching:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Does it look like the missing shell was pecked off by the chick from inside, or is it missing because it was stepped on? Sometimes this unlucky scenario happens under broody hens. I would retrieve that egg, wet the membrane with either bacitracin ointment or coconut oil and make sure that chick has a breathing hole available. I tend to hold onto those because it's too easy for the hen to shift her weight and the chick can't move (trapped in the membrane) and doesn't have the shell for protection either. Then once it pushes its way out after you wet the membrane, give it back to mom. That's my advice. Here's an excellent resource for all things hatching:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Attachments

• CAF04A2D-675D-4A28-A4E5-4CF6DD2713FF.jpeg
    CAF04A2D-675D-4A28-A4E5-4CF6DD2713FF.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 4
I peeled some of the membrane away and there was another membrane underneath? Chick can breathe now at least, I am afraid to do anything else.

Attachments

• 1C6048D8-4353-497B-9141-D930C968387A.jpeg
    1C6048D8-4353-497B-9141-D930C968387A.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 4
I peeled some of the membrane away and there was another membrane underneath? Chick can breathe now at least, I am afraid to do anything else.

Keep it warm, that's the first thing - but don't give it back to the hen in that condition. Looks like an unlucky step after the chick pipped, breaking the shell. As long as it can breathe, that's the first thing. Read through the link I sent above, that will give you what you need to know on the next steps. It should be just fine- the main thing is keep it warm and safe until it wriggles its way out., and keep the membrane around it moist with either coconut oil or bacitracin ointment. Once it's out and moving about, it can go back to mom, assuming she's doing well with the other hatchlings.

After reading this I am certain my chick is shrink wrapped. It says I should do a full assist. This is my first ever hatching with a broody and I am terrified.

Back
Top Bottom