Urgent!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stormhorse23, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I've tried so hard to find a good place on our farm for my big chickens and it just doesn't exist. With a grand total of 16 dogs between us neighbors, it isn't going to work. I know someone who is so determined to get chickens that she offered to pay for them. Its perfect. They'd be pets!!!! She lives way out in the middle of nowhere where they could free range and have the whole barn to themselves! I could get a few more banties and everyone would be happy, right? No, im afraid not. Two of the chickens are so attached. One sits on the other at night and acts like a mommy to him. The terrible thing is that I want to keep her, not him. The woman is coming tomorrow to get the chicks! Will my girl be heartbroken to have her baby taken away? I really need to know this soon so I can plan who goes where. She'll only be alone for a little bit while Im ordering some banty friends for her. Maybe shell accept them as her own b/c her 'son' is gone? She is only six weeks old and thinks she is a mommy. She's a Sebright x Mutt. Sebrights aren't sopposed to be broody?????

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At 6 weeks she can't be broody. She'll need companionship but the other chick under her is prob the other chick wanting to be in the warm spot. Go ahead and get rid of the boy.

3. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    What would be the best companions for her after the big babies are gone? I really like Silkies, Brahmas, Frizzles, Sultans, Cochins, and maybe D uccles (All in bantam form:) ). My pen is 6' by 4'9. How many of what? Is it ok to have variety?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  4. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    You can have variety, chickens don't care who is what breed. With your size coop, it's big enough for about 6 standard chickens, a few more if they're bantam. Be sure it's safe from the dogs and get whatever mix you like.

5. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    no. the coop isn't that big. the outside part is.

6. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    How big is your coop? Chickens need about 4 square feet inside per chicken to be comfortable. Outside they should have about 10 square feet of run each. You can increase by a few chickens if they're bantams. So you could fit around 3 standard chickens in your pen, or 5-6 bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by