Urgent...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JeninMN, Apr 25, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    We have a horrible storm here that has come in very quickly...we don't know if we can make it home...we are going to try our hardest to get home but my question is if we don't make it home how long can chicks go w/o food and water....I know they are always out when we get home around 6pm...I dont know if i should tell our neighbor to break our door lock to get in to feed them or what we should do!! Any advice is much appreciated!!!! The reason I'm not already on my way home is that my husband is on the road coming to get me but he is an hour from town yet...

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    water is the main thing, do they have enough to get thru the night?

3. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    dont know what to say. If you have a good relationship with your neighbor, I might ask them to go break in!

4. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    they usually have about an inch of water left around 6pm....

5. chcknrs

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    How big is the bowl, how old are the chicks, how many do you have?

6. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    it is a large mason jar waterer....they are almost 3 weeks old...there are 28 chicks in there...no way it would last the night...hubby is 26 miles from picking me up but they are talking about closing our road to get home which we live 10 miles out on out in the flats.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    When it is stormy like this our chickens go to roost early and don't eat or drink then so ????

8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    mine were always out completely by morning, I don't know how long they go without overnight but they were always still alive in the morning [​IMG] Now they're out in the coop and always have water, but when they were than young they used to run out all the time for probably 6-8 hours and were fine. It was always overnight.

9. chcknrs

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Hmmm, I heard about that storm earlier, nasty. Sure you didn't leave a window or something unlocked so your neighbor wouldn't have to break the door lock? They will survive the night without food, but they will need water, esp. if you have a light on them.

Maybe wait until you know for sure if they are closing the road?

10. JeninMN

Apr 3, 2008
    We are going to try out best to get home...if we can't i'm going to see if our neighbor will try to get in...wish us good luck and any travel good thoughts / prayers are much appreciated!! Almost May and this is the worst storm we have seen in years! thank you all!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by