Urgent!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerBoy24, Sep 21, 2011.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Hello,

I posted about this about a week ago and didn't really get any responses. Maybe this time.

I have a Lav split silkie 4 months old (he or she) he got an eye infection so I seperated him from the flock. The next day I saw that his wing was caught on the cage I had to basically take the cage apart to get him free. So I brought him in and put him with a heat lamp/ I tried to use gauze to hold it in place but it kept coming off. so I left him be. Now (about 1 week later) It smells bad [​IMG] like the wing. so I got a cotton ball and put Peroxide on it and damped it on the wing. (bubbles!) What do I do?ASAP???

2. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    Can you see an injury? Movement in the wing?

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I'd look much closer to see where the infection is coming from. Clean it with warm fresh water thoroughly and add antibiotic.

4. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Whenever I try to move the wing is won't let me. I mean it sqweals and throws a fit. I'm afraid of making it worse [​IMG]

5. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    You could try covering his/her poor little head with a towel and laying it on its side with just the wing exposed. You'll probably need an extra set of hands. Hopefully then you can move the wing around without the chicken fighting you and get a look at what's going on. Poor little thing!

6. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Okay so all I have to do is clean it. No splint or anything like that?

7. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    If the wound smells you are going to have to use an oral antibiotic. Ask your vet for Baytril. Weigh your chicken (by standing on a scale and then picking up the chicken and seeing how much more you now weigh), and then ask the vet to help you figure out the dose. Any vet can help you. Your dog and cat vet..a farm vet. Hopefully if you explain they will just let you pick up the antibiotic from them without seeing the chicken.

To give the antibiotic we use a syringe that should come with the medicine and one of us holds the chicken in a bear hug and the other person puts their thumb and first finger on either side of the beak. Then by gently compressing your fingers together, the chickens beak should open a bit. Slide the syringe as far back as you can and press the syringe so the liquid goes down the throat. Basically, you are just putting the liquid at the back of the tongue, you won't hurt the chicken.
    This is done twice a day for 5-7days.

Also, feel for an abcess. That would be a firm lump of some kind. If there is an abcess, then a vet visit to drain the abcess is required as well as the antibiotic.
    If this is a bird you are planning to cull or eat, then this may be the time to do that before you put a lot of effort into treatment.

Good luck!

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    After you find the wound and get a good look at it, it might be a good idea to start some abx. A bad smell from an infection is concerning.

9. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Quote:My vet isn't hear now! Can I just clean it until he comes back?

10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Yes of course, clean the wound and put on some sort of abx ointment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by