1. moomoobiscuit

moomoobiscuit New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Hey guys. A fox has got into my pen about an hour ago and got one of my chickens luckily my brother was quick on his feet and scared it away but it has done quite some damage to one of them. It has torn quite a large hole into her back, a bit of blood was pouring but surprisingly for the damage as I think it's quite severe although she seems calm about the matter as I was stroking her and watering and feeding her and she had no problem by the looks of it I have put some antiseptic and anesthetic on a medical gauze around the wound and put a bandage over that but under her wings so it's comfy for her. I really don't know what to as I can't afford vets fee's as I am 19 and don't have much income But I want her to be heal but from what I saw the wound was pretty bad I've put her inside of an animal box with food and water and hay ect but don't know what to do with her. your input would me much appreciated thanks.

2. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    You have done all the correct things already. Just keep an eye on the wound, but you would be surprised how birds heal from the most horrific injuries with a little attention. Beware the fox, he will be back! Can you secure your chickens pen so he is deterred from trying and goes off after easier prey. Although it is early in the year, the fox may already have young and will prowling just looking for an opportunity to strike.

3. Saerie

Saerie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    I think your bird has a good chance of surviving. The back is the safest place for a bird to get bitten. As long as it does not get infected I see no reason your bird will not recover.
    To prevent infection I use Colloidal silver, you could try that to help the healing along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by