Urgently need new set-up for my flock! Tips?

Stephine

Crowing
7 Years
May 30, 2016
Sonoma
Hi there!

Our home burned down to the ground in the Sonoma fires on October 8th and my flock miraculously survived fire, lack of water and feed and heat for three days, until someone could get them out. We dropped off all but two bleeding ones off at a friend’s farm - but their idea of appropriate housing is quite different from mine. I really can’t think about it or I can’t sleep from worry.
While we are waiting for the clean up crews to remove the huge pile of toxic waste that used to be our home, so we can go back to our little farm and get the flock back into their fully intact coop (!), we need to find better temporary housing for them.
Is there ANY ready made coop and run type product out there that is actually predator proof and big enough to be useful? Or a different pen/cage, etc... that could be made safe with a few simple modifications? I need temporary housing for 14 large chickens...

Could you instead get a long term feeder that holds a ton of water and feed and leave them in their original housing with enough to last them a couple weeks? Or do you not have an automatic door?

So glad you are okay, and sorry about your home!
A hoop coop out of cattle panels is pretty easy to build, and then the dog run panels are pretty secure as a daytime run. A garden shed type building from the building supply store with the door open and a dog run attached.
Electrified poultry netting from premier around that garden shed.
All usable and can be moved when you can return to your property.
All the best, Mary

Electric poultry netting, a great idea! I’d have to test it because everything is bone dry here, though - not sure the soil would conduct enough...
And a dog kennel... I’d wrap it in hardware cloth, I guess and place pavers all around?
The old coop is not yet an option as the farm is a haz mat zone right now... also there is no water and electricity, so no automatic anything is possible...

Back
Top Bottom