Urgh, how much calcium does this girl need

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Oct 20, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So I went a full week with giving yogurt daily 1 chobani cup for seven girls (5 full sized/2 banties), also dark leafy greens, oyster shell and cottage cheese. My soft egged girl finally laid a hard shelled egg (Yay! took over an hour to lay it).

So It's been two days with just layena and oyster shell and today's egg was brittle [​IMG]. Honestly aside from spending a small fortune in yogurt what else can I do?

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You can make your own yogurt a whole lot cheaper than buying it (especially since plain old sour yogurt is going to please a chicken). But I wonder... how much sun are your chickens getting? Could it be the vitamin D that's actually lacking so she isn't utilizing the calcium eaten? And then you give a dairy product with supplemental D and that does the trick? Just guessing, here...

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Pop door is opened at 7am and closed at 7pm, she gets to come and go as she pleases. I have others that lay daily and she seems to be outside most of the time.

I can look in to extra vitamin D.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure she's not getting too much zinc, magnesium,or phosphorous from somewhere. Also, too much acid (apple cider vinegar?), iron, lead could be a factor. Maybe get your water and soil tested, change to a different brand of feed.

5. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    some hens jsut start offf like that then they willl become harder just keep her ehalthy

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have one hen that's 2 years old and the small end of the egg is always brittle!! [​IMG]

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Hopefully it will work itself out. Some chickens are just "defective" though. I had two BOs a few years ago & one never laid that I know of. The other one laid everyday for about 6 months, but no matter what, her eggshells were thin & rough. She finally quit laying after that except for laying plain yolks once in a while. Both of them passed shortly after their first molt, from what I assume was internal laying. Hope yours works out.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Oyster shell isn't that expensive. Mix it with the food or offer it free-choice in a separate dish.

9. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:It's been offered since day one, honestly I don't see helping at all.

10. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:It's been offered since day one, honestly I don't see helping at all.

If they only just began laying, then regardless of their calcium intake, they're going to have some really weird eggs. Their systems are just gearing up and getting into the whole routine. Once they hit their stride, the freaks should become few and far between.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by