urghh what should i get?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Johnn, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    im debating what chickens i would like to get after winter
    2 rhode island reds
    2 light sussex
    2 welsummer
    2 black orpingotns
    2 cochins
    2 peckins
    2 battery hens only problem with them is i kind of want a broody.

what would you go for and yes i know rhode island reds dont go broody but i like them any ways

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    2 rhode island reds
    2 light sussex
    2 Plymouth Rock
    2 Black Orpingtons or Buff Orpingtons
    2 cochins
    2 Black or Red Sex Link

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would go for the Cochins. I already have 15 Cochins, and I still want more [​IMG] All of mine love to be fussed over, are absolutely adorable and from what I've heard they are about the best broodies ever (mine still have yet to lay, so I'm still waiting to test that one out). Good luck making your decision!

4. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    You'll get varying opinion on this, the only one that sticks out to me on that list is Welsummer, because our last one and three that a friend has locally are all little "PITA" (Pain In The***) as far as personality. I dont know if this is common across the breed as this is a small sampling.[​IMG] We had mostly RIR..."Rhodies" as we called them when I lived back east and they were OK birds, they layed well and did fine in the cold.

Of our birds we love our frizzle cochin Chloe who is in my avatar. Our Ameracuana and EEs are nice as well, and I've become a true fan of Golden and Silver laced Wyandottes, which we also have. They have been fantastic so far...all with sweet dispositions. But all the breeds you listed are good choices. I have a co worker who loves Buff Ophs as well.

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    silkies aren't on the list??? [​IMG]

6. MassivelyScrambled

MassivelyScrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Northern California
    I would agree with Howfunky's comments, that cochins are fun birds, our girl tends to be borderline broody sometimes, but we have no Rooster and don't want her being broody.

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Quote:people say they are a very weak bird and often get foot infections if they have mud under there feet, although we have a massive feild with lots of grass they have to walk through a mucky pen to get to there sheds [​IMG]

8. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    i use to have 2 welsummers Omlete&Peggy i called them, peggy went broody every year and she was very vicious when broody she had 26 eggs one year but omlete never went broody but then she was killed then a year later peggy was lieng flat on her back dead in the feild [​IMG]

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    any one else want to make a suggestion on wich one to get??

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi johnn, my 3 favorites for egg production are delawares, EE's and welsummers. For personality, speckled sussex. And for gentleness and broody hens, cochins. All are cold hardy too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by