urghhh hate stoats!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Johnn, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ok so my light sussex hen was killed yesterday and now i have to lock my coop now on a night even though she was killed through the day and i have never had to lock them in for the night for 3 years so im really mad!, How can i kill the stoat.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have or an you construct a box trap? The freshly killed bird (sadly enough) is frequently the best bait. The blood thirsty bugger shall return. They, as are all members of the family, are tenacious killers.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    well.... ive burried her i am going to let my uncle get a trap off a gamekeeper i thin

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The gamekeeper can also give some hints as to how to set the trap. Good luck.

5. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    ummm, what's a stoat?

6. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Quote:I had the same question until I googled it. [​IMG]
    "The stoat (Mustela erminea), also known as the ermine or short-tailed weasel, is a species of Mustelid native to Eurasia and North America, distinguished from the least weasel by its larger size and longer tail with a prominent black tip. Its range has expanded since the late 19th century to include New Zealand, where it is held responsible for declines in native bird populations. It is classed by the IUCN as Least Concern, due to its wide circumpolar distribution, and the fact that it does not face any significant threat to its survival.[1] It is listed among the 100 "world's worst alien invasive species".[2]" from wikipedia

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    OMGosh didn't know what they were, looked it up. First pic was mean looking I would hate them too.

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    [​IMG]

I have never heard of a stoat. That is scary looking.....

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:The stoat (Mustela erminea), also known as the ermine or short-tailed weasel, is a species of Mustelid native to Eurasia and North America, distinguished from the least weasel by its larger size and longer tail with a prominent black tip. Its range has expanded since the late 19th century to include New Zealand, where it is held responsible for declines in native bird populations. It is classed by the IUCN as Least Concern, due to its wide circumpolar distribution, and the fact that it does not face any significant threat to its survival. It is listed among the 100 "world's worst alien invasive species"

Wow You have a problem!! So sorry about your hen [​IMG]

10. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Thankyou and i know i locked them in on wednesday night and rang my uncle and said can you let my hens out in the morning and he said yes so i went up to lock them up tonight and he had forgot to let them out so i let them out and they had some bred and free ranged for about 45 mins then it was dark so they had to go back to bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by