URGHHHH Hawk Or falcon

BloominOrchid

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Worcester Township
So my full feathered chicks have been outside for about a week now, this am we found a leg...just a chick leg by process of elimination we figured it was our Favi
hit.gif

So I thought i was my fault that I had left one chick out of the coop over night and thought a raccoon got it ( we have been hit by them before) Then later today I hear this odd noise coming from out back and I see a smallish bird maybe crow or raven size eating another one of my chicks!
somad.gif
I didnt have time to grab my gun and just ran ut after it, naturally it took off. But I also didnt want to shoot at it being its the weekend and Im basically in the city, plus it may be a protected bird.
So I didnt get a good look at it but its chest feathers were spotty & white.
1 what was it...
2 how do I keep it away from my chicks? Short of putting bird netting over my entire yard.
its not a large yard so I am thinking about it!
What a week...
Step son car accident with his mother, 100+ stitches on his face
Youngest son freak accident and bit by neighbors dog
and now 2 chicks lost
Thats 3 so Im due for good now right?

Things happen in threes. You should be good now, except that the hawk will return. Do a search on Cooper's hawks sounds like that's what it might be. The fall migration is on, and they are hungry.

Yes, it might go after your chickens if it's a Cooper's, especially the young or smaller ones. Always good to take precautions any time you see any type of raptor. Sometimes they won't bother your flock, but sometimes they will.

Crows will take a chick if it gets the chance. It doesn't really matter what kind of bird it was, the problem is to make sure your birds are safe. YOU must secure the safety of your birds. Put out a scarecrow, provide safe runs by covering them with something, If possible plant shrubs for them to run under, built small shelters for them to hide under. Something. Keep you gun ready, check on them often. Make your presence known to preds.

All birds of prey are protected. Some by several laws. Penalties are severe.

I would suggest curtailing free-ranging until migration finishes. You can use a tractor with small size openings to give your birds the benefit of free ranging while still protecting them. Hawks, falcons and owls can take a much larger bird than what you would think. If it is too heavy to carry off, they will eat it where they catch it.

YIKES!
So I spent a good amount of time running string all across the yard to try and keep this hawk away, yes Im sure its a coopers now. BC I got done and went inside and didnt I hear the chicken scream and see it fly in to the yard! Didnt make it to the ground I dont know if it saw me coming back out or if the string deterred it. Regardless the ladies were all rounded up and put to bed early.
My uncle has me checking out fake owls, and Im considering netting the yard, its only 16 ft across so I think I can do it
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom