urrghh! new chickens shivering

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roxyblue, Nov 13, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hello everyone,....
    So yesturday i brought home 2 new hens. Right now they are in a seperate run from my current flock but the runs are side by side, These hens are in tough shape, scruffy feathers, one had a pecked at behind, and their poop is lighter and almost orange. And now one is shivering. I know I wasn't thinking and stuffed them to close to my other hens but i can't go back and fix that. So far i've givin them some yogurt, and in a minute I am going to put some electrolytes and applecider vinigar in their water. i can't get to the feed store anytime soon for medications, the only type of wormer I have on hand is for cats.
    Please help!
    thanks!
    -roxyblue

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's possible they look scruffy because they're molting, which would cause them to shiver/puff up if they're missing enough feathers and in a dire enough molt. So it isn't necessarily that they're wormy or sick. Scrambled egg and any high protein treats would help if that's the case. If they've lived this long with possible worms, they can last a few more days, until you're able to get to a TS or similar place. Hope the two newbies work out for you...

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I believe if they were mine I would worm them with Valbazen, which you will probably have to mail order, because it kills the worms slowly. And I'd probably try to build up their nutritional level some first.

4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Thankyou teach1rusl and flock watcher,
    I will try giving them some scrambled eggs tomorrow while I'm feeding Roxy (the hen that is molting REALLY badly and can't walk strait, [​IMG] , you know the one). When I got home yesturday I gave them a good powder with some stuff I got from tractor supply to get rid of lice. I think that is what is causing their feathers to be so scruffy, they look like they just came out of molt. They also hold up there feet a lot, but I've checked for any wounds or bruises that would cause the to do this. (it may be their roost). I don't know, I feel really dum right now I have so much going on with my other hens right now, DUM CHICKEN MATH! haha
    thanks again,
    -roxyblue

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by