1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ursula died...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by crocodile girl, Jan 9, 2008.

1. crocodile girl

crocodile girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2008
    Well, I can't say that I didn't try. For background, see this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27820

It turns out I missed spot when I applied the neosporin (probably near the head). She lost her fight at approximately 2am this morning. I was up all night, I didn't even have her head-tubed (not a smart thing to do, but I felt bad), giving antibiotics and hoping for the best. But I guess it just wasn't enough.

All this happened because a stupid intern who delivered her to me (she was a gift from the boss) using tongs on her. Tongs are only good for one thing: moving cage furniture. They are very dangerous for the snake, as it's difficult to judge pressure. So the snake usually winds up with a lot of nasty wounds, because let's face it: to a snake, being grabbed by tongs is like being grabbed by a bird of prey, so naturally the snake thrashes around because it wants to get free. So the wounds are made worse.

Sigh..should I tell the boss or pull the intern aside and let them know what happened? If I tell the boss, the intern will not be allowed to stay at the lab...

This particular intern bothers me anyhow. When he arrived, he treated me as if I was another intern. No "boss" respect towards me. Probably because I am a youngish woman, and I am only a few years older than him. People don't take me very seriously because of my age, they assume I'm just an intern. Then when they find out that I'm their supervisor (And that I've been doing this for years), they change their attitude. What they don't know is that even though I'm young, I am still every bit as qualified as the middle-aged people who work at the lab. In high school, I traded in my social life for more classes, so I got my college degrees much earlier. People just make me so mad..I wish they wouldn't judge my book by its cover.

2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG] take care

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry for this poor snake.....

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Im very sorry to hear this, Poor little Ursula.
    It must be heartbreaking for you to think that she would have lived if she were treated properly.
    I cannot give advice that may put you in a uncomfortable position at work, however this person should have known better than to use the tongs and if he felt that he NEEDEd to use them for his safety well he may need some training to prevent this happening again.
    Who knows he may have priors that you are unaware of and they may be compiling a list of crosses against him if he is new.
    I would certainly have a one on one chat with him and let him know how disappointed you are with this situation and that he may have contributed to Ursula's demise.
    I also know that people dont respect women with long blonde hair!!! if you have this, get a sharp haircut which makes you look tough and sexy at the same time.
    Lots of hugs to you.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, I'm so sorry. I also have a passion for critters that other people don't consider "cute".
    Here's my humble opinion: You are a professional in this field. If you feel that this intern's methods were not consistent with accepted practices, then you should say something . If you are his direct supervisor, you do it. If you aren't his direct supervisor, let your boss know.

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    sorry for your snake

7. crocodile girl

crocodile girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2008
    I also know that people dont respect women with long blonde hair!!! if you have this, get a sharp haircut which makes you look tough and sexy at the same time.

Yay! an excuse to get a sexy haircut! lol

Actually, I'm a brunette. I do have long hair. I don't really have many options as far as hairstyles are concerned, because of my lifestyle and job. If I cut it short, then I'll need to keep it short forever. I can't have medium-length hair. Because if I can't tie it back in a hurry (in an emergency), and it's in my way, I'm putting myself in danger. So I just have long layers...but even the shortest layer is long enough to be tied back in a quick ponytail. I think the long layers are the perfect hairstyle for me. I can tie it in a ponytail at work, and when I go out looking for dates I can still attract men.

But you know, I think part of the reason why I'm often not respected until I'm a bit harsh is because I don't "look" like I'd be suited for this job. When I go out in public (when I'm not working) dressed in a short-ish skirt and high heeled boots, complete with low-cut top, you can't expect someone to think I'm in this sort of field. I'm a very different person when I'm outside the lab. I joke around with friends and act like a normal person. But in the lab I'm serious because I have to be. People don't realize that.

But then an intern who is working with me will do something incredibly stupid and decide that I'll never notice. I always notice. And I can tear an male intern's ego to pieces when I feel that he needs to be put in his place.

Well, I'm going to have a chat with that intern and suggest that he work on his handling techniques a bit.​

8. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Go get him sister!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by