US Jet in the Hudson River

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Jan 15, 2009.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Just came on the news....They said everyone is okay...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've been watching that. It was an AirBUS.... great big plane and they think birds may have brought it down! [​IMG]

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Now they're reporting that the pilot called in two bird strikes before it went down (it had just taken off.) I didn't know what a bird strike was so I Googled it and found this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYNpB-8_BSo

Wow
    , that is scary! Witnesses said it appeared the pilot put the plane down in the Hudson on purpose and it looked like he was landing it on a runway. Good job Mr. Pilot! [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have been watching also..... Glad everyone is ok !!!!

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    The pilot did a fantastic job... just imagine....and also they said passengers helped each other...paying it forward....i think they should all buy a lotto ticket...people that helped/emergency workers also...

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    If all the facts hold as is, that pilot deserves a BIG FAT raise!!!! [​IMG]

7. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:granted that the bird could have caused that engine to do this.. but it had one bursted of flame the end of the first view before it clearly showed the bird going into the engine so in that case it might have had other engine problems..

But I have herd that it was from a whole flock of birds..

My x was an air trafic controller and you can usually see bird flocks on the radar.. They should have warned that pilot..

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yup birdies will do that. It can be a robin size or a goose size...just depends.

Glad everyone is safe.

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Glad everyone was OK too. You'd think they would put heavy gauge hardware cloth or something over the engines so birds in flight wouldn't cause a problem. [​IMG] Am I missing something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by