US Postal Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by willheveland, Sep 4, 2008.

1. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I have an order of live chicks coming soon.I dropped by my post office to let them know ahead of time and to see what time they could call me.They said the soonest they could call is 8:30am and that they open at 9am.
    When I drive by in the morning there is someone there at 630am.
    In the past I've been able to get them at 645am.This makes it tough for me because I will already be at work and it's hard to leave to pick up chicks(nice pun huh).
    Are the policys for each post office different or is it up to the people who work there?
    These are fairly new people,we used to have people there that lived in the home town,so they knew everybody.but now it's all new people and I think none of them live here.Half the time they shut down in the middle of the day for a few hours then open back up at 3pm.
    Does anybody here ever use a post office outside your town because of better service?
    I've brought letter to mail and paid extra because they say they are overweight.But in the town about 8 miles away,they would weigh the same material and say it's within.
    Will

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Most POs want you to get there ASAP to pick them up since they're usually cheeping pretty loudly. My PO even lets me come pick up my eggs before they open.

3. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I'd say it's up to each office. Ours calls us at about 6:15-6:30 am. In the country most postal people start their routes around 6:30 or 7. They call before they leave for their route.

4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Wow my post office has called me at 3 AM to pick up birds and it is a smallish town maybe 10,000. However I did find out that they are the hub for the smaller towns around us, weird cause the big hub is just 20 minutes away. The next time they close in the middle of the day call 1-800-ask-usps and complain.

5. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

they called me at 6:45 a.m. frist time and the other time was at 7:00 a.m.

Call you post office and ask for there manager. they should be able to let you pick them up at the time they get there.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think they are supposed to open at a certain time, but they do what they want. I live in an area with no mail delivery and it is never the same time from day to day. Even at Christmas time they will close at 4 pm on a weekeday!! GRRRR

7. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    I have many complaints about our local post office. However, they"ll call at six in the morning and let you know the chicks are in. Don't have to wait til nine am either to get them. They just say to come on up to the back door if we're not open yet and pick them up.

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Mine usually calls at 8:30am but says I can knock on the door earlier to pick them up. [​IMG]

9. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Mine called me at 8; they don't open till 9 but they have an area you can pick up deliveries between 6 AM and 9 AM.

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:10,000 holy smoke, I'm talkin' like 2,200 where I'm at. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by