Us postal service cutting costs. Do you think it will affect shipping?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Colored Egg Farmer, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed. but here it goes. I read an article about how the postal service may close quite a few post offices and sorting departmens and may extend the first class wait time.

Note this is not a political discussion it is about the post offices ability to ship chicks in a reasonable time frame. I know it is already taking my chickens 2-3 days to get half way accross the country to me. but I think with less sorting going on it may even take longer. Whats your opinion?

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    It can't be good.

Me, I think I'm looking around more seriously for a local breeder. Although the last one didn't sex the chicks and we ended up 75% roosters.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Oooh yeah, adds an extra day or two to shipping.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As Meyer Hatchery said, only First Class mailings are affected. Express and Priority class are not. So your shipped birds will be fine but always put more apples or grapes in the box in case they do get a held over at one of the hubs.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    According to my local post office, it absolutely will affect all forms of mail/shipping.

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Quote:which version of shipping are chicks sent. I beleve when mine were shipped they were sent to one of the sorters that are "marked" for removal. I know one extra day doesn't sound like much but I have received some chick shipments a day late and half the box is already lost. I hope it doesn't turn out that way but we shall wait and see. And I'm definately looking for local breeders and starting to breed my own hens.

7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    It will most likely effect shipping by what you pay for it but the process will stay the same mostly. They will gradually go to more automation. We all know why they are going out of business.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It probably will not affect all priority and express mail services, just places where the sorting centers are closed.....

Sorting will take place in a destination further away and probably will take an extra day for delivery.

If anyone orders from a hatchery after this takes place, I would definately ask for upgraded express mail service.

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

pips&peeps :

It probably will not affect all priority and express mail services, just places where the sorting centers are closed.....

Sorting will take place in a destination further away and probably will take an extra day for delivery.

If anyone orders from a hatchery after this takes place, I would definately ask for upgraded express mail service.

that's a very good idea

i've already ordered my turkey poults from Porters.. so not sure what they will do
    I need to order some freedom rangers and hopefully some muscovys.. so I'll keep that suggestion in mind (especially for the muscovys since they don't ship well anyway)​

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It would be a good idea for anyone who buys or sells to know if their sorting center has been shut down or not. It is also a good idea to use the usps price calculator to determine whether a bird or chicks can be shipped next day or 2cnd day.

I do it all the time now. If I can find a post office that is within 30 miles of the destination that can get the bird there in one day, I try to do that.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by