US Source for "pince a tuer" (French killing pliers)?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mac_, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mac_

Mac_ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    New guy here. We've been raising chickens for meat and eggs for about 6 years, and Muscovy ducks for meat for about 3 years.

I've been processing the broilers at a processing plant that's about a 2 hour drive. You have to drop them off one day, and pick them up 2 days later, which is a lot of time and miles, so I've decided to try processing them at home.

In researching what equipement I would need, I came across a French tool, a "pince a tuer", that is supposed to be a humane way to kill / bleed the chickens. It is basically a pair of pliers that has a scalpel blade on one of the jaws, and a smooth cupped surface on the opposing jaw. With the chicken in a cone, the jaw with the blade is inserted into the mouth with the smooth cupped jaw on top of the head, then the handles are squeezed which drives the blade into the brain. This is supposed to cause immediate brain death, but allow the heart to keep beating to allow a proper bleed out.

This is a link to a picture in a French catalog: http://www.catalliance.com/dept63_63_01_004_0601007_fiche_pince_a_tuer_volailles_638.html

Has
    anyone here ever used one of these tools? Did it work well? Do you consider it humane?

Any source for one in the US?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Mac_

2. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    Welcome Mac

Neat looking device. Looks like a pithing method . Should work just fine for the task at hand.

There are alot of opinions about the best way to slaughter chickens. It seems that most use killing cones and slit/slice the jugular veins in the neck. After trying several different ways it seems to work the best - quickest - simplest.

I do not know any one that has a set of pliers like this, although I do know a few people that kill their chickens by opening there mouth and inserting some type of divice to take out the brain stem.

Imo it is just somthing to lose track of or need to fix before using it. I like to keep it simple and a sharp knife is the way I like to go.

Good luck

3. Turkeytruff

Turkeytruff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    did you ever find one of these in the US/ north America?
    I just got back from Italy and saw one of these but couldn't buy one in the time I was there and would like to get one.
    thanks
    Sandy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by