1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

USDA helps fund the Lesser Prarie Chicken

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fishnet1971, Oct 5, 2012.

1. The Lesser Prarie Chicken is not our 'normal chicken' but yet a bird that is really becoming rare. I have studied this bird for 30 years to some point and it has always been a facination of mine along with my flock of girls and 'Bird.

I am employed by the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service and saw this link on out pages this morning.
    HOW COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone out west needing info on it or who to contact, send me a PM. I would LOVE to see a lot of habitat restored to bring these bird numbers up.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/national/home/?&cid=nrcsdev11_023912

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I think these were in Oregon at one time and it would be nice to see them here again.

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I love this group of birds! Private avicultralists have some impressive exhibits for them, and it is comforting to me to know that they are at least being kept around in captivity. I sure do hope to see them increase in number in the wild too. It is always wonderful and inspiring to see private landowners who are restoring or preserving habitat areas on their land.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have a wonderful friend that does this type of work and as I was informed by her they work very hard at doing habitat conservation for wildlife. It actually has given me a different view on these projects and their worth.

5. As a USDA employee, I get such a bad rap from so many people. I have even read articles on here dogging the agency. I just thought it would be nice to show how we do some awesome things! 99% of my work entailes conservation work. I have a wildlife habitat program here in Ohio that does almost the same as the Prarie Chicken, but for our more local species. Bobcats, Warm season native grasses, sage grouse, quail, pheasant, turkey, etc. It is awesome to see a 100 acre field converted to grassland and shrubs for the animals. Butterfly habitat is another awesome one to see. I am lucky enough to also work on these with our local farmers and producers to help with their animals. To keep them clean and healthy, to help with manure storage facilites for poultry houses - stores their poop so that no pollution of the water and soil can happen. It's nice to see your tax payer dollars go to good projects like this.

I only wish i could go work out there in the west temporarily to help on this project. I think I'd fit right in!!! But only if MayMay and 'Bird could go too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. greatblueheron

greatblueheron Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Hi! I work in the conservation field in Oregon...used to work for NRCS, but I work for my local conservation district now. The focal species here in Oregon at the moment is sage grouse. Great to hear from somebody else in the conservation field...keep the good work! :)

7. That is so cool!!!!! How long did you work for NRCS? i will hit my 15th year on Monday!

8. greatblueheron

greatblueheron Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Thanks! I think so too! :D I worked for NRCS for about 4 years and then joined the conservation district in the field office I was in about six years ago. My job is mostly riparian buffers and some instream work for fish habitat and some forest conservation work too. What do you do for NRCS? Are you a soil con? Congrats on 15 years!

9. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I did look into the prairie chicken program last yr, but the requirements seemed too much for me to handle. I do occasionally see prairie chickens close to my place. Always neat to see them.

10. jc, yea, they can be pretty heafty on the paperwork at times. I know. I can seem confusing, but if you get someone good to explain it to you it's not so scary

Greatblue, I am a District Conservationist here in Ohio. I get to do all the stream stuff, habitat restoration work, all the lovely paperwork, plus i get to work with the local farmers and producers here to help with animal issues and resource issues. I design and help pay for animal waste storage facilities, heavy use pads (to keep animals out of the mud), access roads, plant pastures, fencing, etc. I am housed with a district too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by