USDA National Agricultural Classifiction

kjpanda

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane Valley, WA
I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but I tried to narrow it down to what it pertains to.

I got a "survey" in the mail today with the title listed in my subject line, along with a letter from the ISDA. The letter states that the survey is required by law and if I do not reply I may be personally visited by them. I have a few pullets for eggs, nothing else. This survey goes into LOTS of detail about what I don't think is any of their business. Has anyone else gotten one and if so, how in the heck did Uncle Sam discover my girls?
hide.gif

They are legal where I live, by the way. I just don't like Government intrusion into my private life.

Sometimes, it's related only to your acreage. My neighbor who has a huge log home on 20 acres got one. She has never had animals other than a dog. She filed it where I would, the circular file. I think they "shotgun" those things sometimes. I never got one myself. I don't claim a farm exemption or anything on my taxes, don't make money from this place, so it's none of their business what I have or don't have here, IMO.

The letter says "You have been identified as someone who has some agricultural activity. Your response will help us determine your involvement in agriculture". Then in LARGE and BOLD letters it tells me it is required by law and if I do not reply I will be personally visited.

I have 6 laying hens. I guess I must be a threat to National Security.
lau.gif

One old timer told me, after he "filed" his, that they did things like that back in the day to see where all the food sources were incase there were ever a national crisis and people needed to be fed. We usually file ours as well....Gov't knows enough
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom