1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Use a Contract to trade chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ADozenGirlz, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I don't know quite where to post this question, so I apologize if it is in the wrong topic area.
    I am likely going to trade my rooster to a breeder in exchange for one of his future offspring and some hatching eggs. What is the usual protocol in the chicken world for this type of exchange, do folks ordinarily use contracts/barter agreements? If so, does anyone have a sample I may use?
    Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Word of mouth is also a contract, but if there is no trust, get it written.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Most trades of goods or services do not begin in an atmosphere of mistrust. I'm aware that oral contracts exist, but they're difficult to prove and enforce. I'm actually a lawyer and know the pitfalls of deals gone south due to misunderstanding or something else. I'm new to the whole chicken world and wonder what the industry standard is for trades of poultry, particularly in this case where it's a trade for a FUTURE event occurring. I can write a contract, but wonder whether there's already a good one out there that I can use (I hate to spend time re-inventing the wheel).

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I understand!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by