Use for dog house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ole rooster, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've had this dog house for 20 years now and have had nothing sleep in it. Well one traveler but no dog of mine. So I figured I'd make something I can isolate chicks in, a brooder, or maybe a sick hen. But this is what I did.

[​IMG]

I made a stand 12 inches high so I could have a little cool area under it. Built a run area that's 4X4X8. I put a cross piece on on top to hold the hanging feed and water. On the end you see I plan on a door and on the other side I'm cutting a space for one nest box. Those pavers you see on the right are to go all the way around the run. The entire run is covered in 1/2 inch HC.
    [​IMG]

This is just the gate for the run. The cost right at $200 not counting the dog house. That was $100. And it's really not on a slope like it seems. I'm a tad tilted with the camera.

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Hey, nice job! Great recycling!

3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG] Nice coop
    Ayda

4. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    that gives me an idea
    Nice Coop

5. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    That looks really nice. Good job! Are you putting a little door on the dog house, or leaving it open for ventilation? You also did a great job with that run. It's really very pretty - I wasn't expecting such polish from a dog house!
    [​IMG]

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Well thank y'all. When I started I had no idea what to do. I just knew I wanted it off the ground. The original door is going to stay open. It's point south so no a lot of wind to worry about.

My main concern now is I'm just not that smooth with a circular saw and I have to cut the door on the back side and the nest box. O well, tomorrow I'll do something, even if I have to fix it.[​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    WOW!!!!:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by