1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Use grit or oyster shell on floor of Pen?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gurley157FS, Mar 26, 2007.

1. gurley157FS

gurley157FS New Egg

Mar 26, 2007
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I am building my chicken coop and pen inside a fenced garden area. My chicks will have to stay in locked in the pen most of the time except when I am at home on weekends because of problems we have with loose dogs and other predators. We have already lost one pet rabbit and a cat. I now keep hot-wire around my rabbit hutch.

ANYWAY, can I put a base of grit and/or oyster shell in the pen to keep it from getting muddy? Will they just sit around and eat it? I could also put down a base of sand if this would be better.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have you thought of a chicken tractor that you can move to new ground constantly?

As for your pen, I would say that a sand bottom would allow drainage and if you did put down oyster shell, they won't eat it unless they need it. As long as it's not on low ground and the chicken concentration isn't too high, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Definitely sand !

4. gurley157FS

gurley157FS New Egg

Mar 26, 2007
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Thanks for the info. Since I have two votes for sand I believe I will go for sand.

As for the tractor I want to make one but I cannot leave them unattended when I am not home.

Neighborhood dogs have torn chicken wire right off my rabbit hutch to get at our rabbits. I want to have them (the chickens) protected by hotwire when I am not there. The entire coop and pen is surrounded by hotwire and soon I will enclose the entire garden area with it.

Years past, when I had a stable, the entire property was surrounded by hotwire just to keep from having to fix fences that the horses damaged. I did not realize at the time how many other animals that I was keeping OUT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by