Use of Golden Malrin to control flies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rpkalbfeld, Feb 29, 2012.

1. rpkalbfeld

rpkalbfeld New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Has anyone ever used this product and if so what are the do and dont about it

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Works great, but you cant use it around chickens. They have big yellow strips that work just as good that you can hang up that kill flies, I think its the same company that makes golden malrin, and you can keep it away from your chickens, and any other animals you might have around.

These are what I use in the barn:

http://www.ttdistributors.com/index.php?pageID=7024&productID=397&

I put them in a bucket and put the bucket where the chickens can get to it. The flies drop like, well, flies, when they land on it. You can fill up a bucket with dead flies if your problem is that bad.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. rpkalbfeld

rpkalbfeld New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    i was asking the feed store and alot of people use it around their chickens and its some new kinds, its blue now instead of golden yellow, and the can says so,m but i was concerned

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    That stuff will drop a coon with one drink. It is poisonous to birds and animals a like. But if you can be assured that no one can get into it, I have a whole can I bought and never used after reading it.

5. rpkalbfeld

rpkalbfeld New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    I saw that, but i am going to try it in special holders above the coop area, so its not near the hens, but the coons can come get it if they want it :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by