Use of shredded paper

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tesncs, Jun 19, 2019.

1. tesncs

tesncs Chirping

Jan 12, 2014
    Does anyone use shredded paper in their coop? If so, how does it work? Is it safe for the girls?

Compost King likes this.
  2. so lucky

so lucky Songster

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I would think it would be hard for them to get around in, catching their feet on the curled up paper strips. Also, probably not very absorbent. I have thought about using shredded paper in my garden for mulch, though.

Sequel and Compost King like this.
  3. ~KH~

~KH~ Songster

Jun 16, 2011
    Southern CA
    My Coop
    I use a little shredded paper occasionally in my coop, but it's along with pine needles, leaves, garden stuff, forage hay, etc. I think it works fine mixed in with all that other stuff, but don't know that it would be very good by itself.

paintedChix, Sequel and Compost King like this.
  4. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    I use shredded paper in my indoor brooder, when I end up with a surplus it can end up in a coop or run... never had an issue with it.. I tend to keep indoor bedding (shredded newspaper and cardboard) indoors and outdoor stuff (straw leaves mulch hay sticks leaves) outdoors but indoor stuff can outside if needed.

paintedChix and Sequel like this.
  5. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Not a good idea some paper can give of certain chemicals that rnt good for ur garden I seen someone talk about I can remember exactly but I think it was justin Rhodes from YouTube could be wrong tho

Compost King likes this.
  6. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    How to u shred ur paper? By hand?

Sequel and Compost King like this.
  7. Compost King

Compost King Crowing

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    @Pekin747 I have a paper shredder I bought at Walmart a few years ago. They tend to last about 5 years and that's five years of not having to buy Pine shavings. I forgot the price but I got the most expensive one, some of the cheaper ones make long shreds which is annoying in a brooder. Justin Rhodes lives near me, I believe he goes above and beyond when it comes to staying organic. I totally respect that but I do not take it to the level he does because saving a few bucks is a much higher priority for me. I just stay Mostly organic instead of fully organic. Sometimes Cardboard and paper get treated with some sort of pesticide, not sure what... but until I end up with some sort of symptom that leads to down the road of changing bedding I am not going to spend money on Pine shavings. Shredded newspaper and cardboard works fine for me.

paintedChix and Sequel like this.
  8. tesncs

tesncs Chirping

Jan 12, 2014
    Paper shredder

Sequel likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Kinda like being a little bit pregnant:gig

123RedBeard likes this.
  10. paintedChix

paintedChix Songster

Dec 15, 2013
    NC
    I've used shredded paper in both our little brooders and in my 8x8 hooped coop/pens. I also use it VERY spread out as a mulch - preferable mixed with other materials as it will turn into hard cement if it's caked together - in the brooder, in a coop/run and in the garden.

My girlfriend has a shredder that seems to double shred everything - it's really tiny bits/pieces and very dusty - i use that as our mulch when I can get it from her. I have a shredder that works slightly differently... The pieces aren't double shredded but it's nice and short/narrow. I think I got our shredder at Office Max, can't remember. It will shred cardboard boxes and plastic as well. I shred A LOT OF CARDBOARD, LOL. I bring boxes home from the Spay Neuter Vet clinic that I work for every week.

20190215_082900.jpg 20190215_082820.jpg

The next coop actually had the door left partially open, and the chickens were wiped out in February. Had done a couple different layers of natural materials and shredded paper. We are currently making the coop/pen stronger, more predator proof and then will break up the bedding again w/ a broadfork and add more. We aren't ready to strip this coop/pen yet at all. Also - when you go thru the linked album below, you will see that this coop had other paper/trash (mostly paper towels) - that the chickens proceeded to shred for us!

20181229_133241.jpg

There are many more pictures in this album -

Coops, Cattle Panels, DLM & Sheds

There is also more pics here - Chickens & Ducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: